New Colorado Bicycle Law

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since most municipalities in CO didn't buy into the first attempt at common sense in 2018 (SB 18-144), they now don't have to opt in.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ann...-stop-signed-law-gov-jared-polis#.Ylixi_rMLIU
Since Colorado is a Home Rule State, municipalities can opt out. I've already read where the mayor of Fort Collins is not happy with this law and may wish to opt out of it. The article also said the mayor in question claims to be an avid cyclist. My guess is that they one of those kitted out roadies with $10K of bike, wearing at least another $1K of gear and no idea that there is a Cycling World that goes well beyond their obviously limited viewpoint of it all.

Where I'm from, cyclists pretty much pick and choose the traffic laws that suit them best. I've never seen the law coming down on riders for rolling through stops. We're small enough that traffic isn't too chaotic here, but it gets a bit nuts with the e scooters in the summer

Where I'm from, cyclists pretty much pick and choose the traffic laws that suit them best. I've never seen the law coming down on riders for rolling through stops. We're small enough that traffic isn't too chaotic here, but it gets a bit nuts with the e scooters in the summer
I use nothing around here but a bike and no there is no enforcement. There are certain intersections I just avoid. I see a stop sign I stop. Cars roll through especially this time of year there not use to seeing us around yet

Cars roll through especially this time of year there not use to seeing us around yet
This is why I ride my tallbike in the Spring so often.

The biggest downside to this new law for me is that I kinda liked being a scofflaw for so many years, even while working in Public Safety. I do these things for both efficiency and safety. I don't have all day and I don't wanna die yet.

I was blue lit in Fullerton, CA once for jumping the light while Southbound on Euclid at Orangethorpe. I did so just after the Northbound left turn lane vehicles cleared the intersection in order to avoid being squeezed by the vehicles behind me into the obnoxious detritus piles the intersection had. I told the cop that if he scratched me I would come back, take pictures of the intersection and see him in traffic court to see if the judge might be partial to common sense. He didn't scratch me a ticket.

Coincidentally, I was out with my wife yesterday (in a car) and a couple of cyclists in front of us did the "treat a red light like a stop sign" maneuver. We discussed how that can be a safer way to get through an intersection. Like KCI above, I was once "blue lit" for that. I also escaped without a ticket. I like the CO approach but still worry a bit that some crazy drivers may take offense and, well, do something crazy. Remember what Sgt. Esterhaus says:

sgt esterhaus.jpg

Latest posts

Back