new finds, new projects

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one I'm most excited about. its an early 60's JC Higgins. (if anybody knows of a site that can confirm the year, that'd be awesome). I picked it up at the local flea market for 60 bucks. at first when i first saw it i thought, "its perfect! I wanna leave it just the way it is. put some new white walls on it and start kruisin. " but the more I look at it, I think it needs a "mid 60's pearl paint job"! it reminds me of a 59-60 Impala. it kinda has the shape of the fins on the rear rack, and the louvers are super kool. I think the lines are just way too kleen to sport a rusty finish. maybe a mint green w/a gold pearl. or a powder blue w/ a silver pearl. you guys feelin' it??? I have a sears spaceliner frontend I wanna put on it too. the gears are turnin kids, mid 60's kustom!! :mrgreen:

dec242007071.jpg

dec242007072.jpg

next up is gonna be my fixed gear project. Schwinn World Sport. I picked up a really kool seat off ebay about a year and a half ago. I had to have it. I should have a pic of it but i dont. it looks like an old Orange Krate seat but its for a road bike. silver metalflake vinyl with the orange "S" and double stripes. its bad! so that was my inspiration anyways. I'm thinkin maybe paint it orange. maybe black satin. or maybe an Irish theme... green forks and steertube, white center, and orange rear half ?? I dont know. whatever. I just love the "tightness" of this frame. I've been surfin the fixed geared sites for awhile now, and of all the bikes I've seen, this is the frame that I wanted. it was so crazy, I started thinkin "I need to keep my eye out for one of these frames" and then the other day, me and buddy are coming home from work and I see this guy with truck full of scrap like he's headin to the dump. I start freakin out. I tell Tim "stop the car!" I gotta see whats goin on over here. sure as poop, there it is, right on top of the pile. I ask the guy "I'll give you scrap value for that" and he says "go ahead, take it. merry christmas." :shock: yeeeeaaaahhhhh! it was fate. this bike was meant to be! :lol:

dec242007008.jpg

and lastly, this is a '68 Schwinn Suburban. I picked this one up moments before the Higgins. he wanted 60, I gave him 50. at the time, I wasnt sure the exact year but I knew it was pre-69, so I snatched it up. its already broke down, stripped and repainted. it kills me when these "guys" repaint'em just to sell'em! this was originally the schwinn candy red. anyways, pix to come. I'm puttin it together for a buddy of mine for christmas. metalflake cobalt blue with black components. he just had his daily rider stollen, a Redline BMX bike. he likes the "Gingo bike", so I'm gonna keep this one nice and tight. balloon tires with a drop neck and straight bars. maybe a "clunker"?? we'll see. this will be done in the next couple of days, I'll keep you guys posted.

dec242007073.jpg

dec242007074.jpg

Nice find!
The Higgins would make a nice Pee-wee Herman bike.
I'd do the schwinn cruiser in flat black with burgandy rims and white walls. Elektra has some really cool retro accessories that would look good with it too. 8-x 8)

I think the Higgins is circa 65. That's my guess anyway. All good finds!

That World Sport will make a nice bike, back-date it a bit and it will be a real simple solid looking ride!

Latest posts

Back