NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wanted to give everyone a heads up that we will be switching forum software soon.

For the past 7 years we have used phpBB3 as the platform for the site and during that time we've made many modifications to keep things running smoothly. Unfortunately those same modifications have made it a nightmare to upgrade. Not upgrading has made the software a security risk to the host server. We've reached a point where we're being forced to upgrade to keep things safe.

The new forum will be in XenForo. This is one of the better forum software platforms out there these days and it will incorporate some new features that this software doesn't have.

I know that most people don't like change and it will take some getting used to the new forum, but eventually you'll find your way around and it won't be much different than this system.

We've been doing some testing to make sure that all of the posts, PMs, users, usernames, avatars, etc. transition over okay and so far things look good. The two things that are pretty major downers are that the current feedback system doesn't transfer over and also people's post counts don't seem to transfer over. The new system does have a feedback system, but it doesn't work quite the same way as the previous one does.

Right now we're finishing up the look and feel of the new forum and once that is all nailed down I will give everyone another heads up before we shut down the old and launch the new. There will probably be a 3-5 hour down time while we make the transition.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know what is coming and to thank everyone for being a part of the site!

Rat Rod said:
The two things that are pretty major downers are that the current feedback system doesn't transfer over . The new system does have a feedback system, but it doesn't work quite the same way as the previous one does.

I was just starting to make my way up the Feedback Top Ten too! :p

I'm sure we'll survive the change.

Most of us remember who the good sellers are and the who the "Regulars" are so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So when is the switch taking place? How long will the site be down?

Hopefully it will happen in the next week.

The site should be down for 3-5 hours when we make the transition.

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking forward to it, and I am sure we all appreciate the effort involved in keeping this place going!

Luke.

Very much! I have worked on bikes since I was 7 years old and I thought I was somewhat of a bike expert till I found this place. I have learned more in my 3 years on this site than in the 20+ years working on bikes and I'm still learning.

batten-down-the-hatches_fb_785407.jpg

Haven't been here long but the time I have I've learned a lot and got the bike of my dreams so ill stick around no matter what!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Good luck with the changeover. Most people don't appreciate what it takes to keep these forums going. I'll just be glad that Tapatalk will work again.

Wow, I just realized I have been a member for 4 (almost 5) years!! :shock: Looking forward to the new forum 8) ...too bad we lose a few things :(

Do you know if links to posts will still work? I link over here a lot on facebook and other places. Wondering if I'll need to redo them after the change.

That's a good question.

I have a feeling that they wont because the new software will probably be using a different linking method. :(

Those are the quirky kinds of things that won't make the conversion fun, but over time it will be less and less of an issue.

Thankfully the search engine "bots" visit sites so often these days that the info is usually updated almost instantly in search results.

Latest posts

Back