New guy from Italy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! New member here from Italy, I've been thinking about building a cruiser/bobber style bike from scratch since I like the style. I don't have any experience with frame building but I do know how to weld/fabricate. I was planning on using 40mm ERW tubing with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm for the main triangle, since I have some already and it is readily available to me if I need more, Do you think this would be a suitable material?

Thanks I will post as soon a I have something to show! Do you think it will be too heavy? would you suggest going any lighter on the wall thickness or smaller OD ?

You're probably fine on wall thickness being mild steel. The OD is big head tube size, so doing the whole front triangle that size will give a unique look. That's what custom bike building is about, coming up with your own thing.

Because the tubes will be somewhat oversize it will give you the ability to do a little metal sculpture and make things really unique.

I’m only familiar with American steel grades like “ASTM A500 grade B”

How would your tubing be graded in Europe?

That seems like an interesting idea, what exactly do you intend with sculpting? Would it be like making the end parts maybe more oval or boxed shaped?
The grade of steel I will be using is called S235JR, it is low carbon steel that would be equivalent to AISI 1015 I think, it is welded tube with the seam, basically the cheapest stuff you can get here. I would use DOM but it is not easy to find without buying loads of it from an industrial supplier.

Welcome to this forum!

If it helps you: My large "Pope Roger" bike build has 1.5mm wall thickness CroMo tubing. The bike weighs 22kg in total, but I don't mind that weight ;)
See the 'built from scratch' sub forum here for the topic.

Have fun building and don't forget to post some photos in your build thread :cool:

Latest posts

Back