New Hotwheels 68, Save it for the next generation or...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

E I E I O
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey guys,

What do you think I ought to do with this one? I have a Fortieth Anniversary Hotwheels 68 cruiser that is brand new in the box. It is serial number HW2#002. That’s right, it is the second one in the series. I presume Felt Bikes has the first one that was used for the marketing photos that are on the Web and trade shows.
I’m on the fence about putting it together and enjoying it or keeping it in its time capsule and pulling it out in ten or twenty years. I reckon I could be dead by then. :eek:

Do you think having what amounts to the first one available to the public has much value here? I really don’t have a clue what sort of collectors market there is in Hotwheels merchandise. These cruisers are not Shelby Cobras or Star Wars stuff after all. I didn't get it because it may increase in value or anything like that, but I probably would preserve it if it's likely to be worth a grip someday.

So whatchathink? Put it together or entomb it?

hw2.jpg

PIc of it new not in the box :)
hw1.jpg

Put it together and then keep in pres teen(SP) condition. Ride it in parades and on special occasions.

HotRodRob said exactly what I was thinking. Who are you savin' it for? With that being said, I would put it together, ride it, and be very, very careful with it. :) Most of all, store it in a safe place where it won't get damaged when you aren't riding it. I've seen too many nice bikes that were "low mileage" but with scratches and dents all over them from being stored in a garage full of junk. I guess I'm saying enjoy it but be responsible about it. :D

John

Tater, you really are in quite the pickle. All these other fellas are leading you astray with their advice and making a bad situation worse. Here's what you do in a few simple steps.
1) Pack it back up in to the crate, making sure not to scratch a thing.
2)Take it down to UPS and ship it to me
3) Sit back, relax and don't worry about a thing, it'll be in good hands! :p

Seriously though, you really are in a situation. I remember as a kid getting a set of Bicentennial stickers that I saved for years and years until the perfect time came along to stick them on things. Sadly I found them, unused, when my parents were moving out of the family home, many, many years later. They were ruined to make matters worse. An opportunity missed and it taught me a little life lesson. That being said, that bike ain't no set of cheap stickers. :wink:

Assemble it but keep the box and park the bike in your living room :wink:

Okay guys,

Thanks for your views. HotRodBob, you made a good point by asking who I was saving it for. Actually no one I know. I went ahead and assembled it so there's no looking back now. The gears are already turning in my head as to how I'm going to mod this one. That ADD just won't let me leave well enough alone. :lol:
I'll post some pictures of it in the Felt gallery in the coming days.

What a score. that is awesome.

By the way, when you get tired of your felt bikes, let me get dibs before you sell them; put this one in line first :mrgreen: :wink:

If you want to sell it let me know :). I have a Felt Shelby and a Little Bast*rd and I would love a Hot Wheels :)

Enjoy it, it looks amazing

This post is 4 years old, pretty sure its probably long gone or he doesnt even come on here anymore.

LOL! Not dead yet.

This bike has never been for sale, but anything I own can be had for the right money. It will take crazy dough to pry my hands off of this one.

Latest posts

Back