New, looking for suggestions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this bike since 7th grade (a looooong time ago..). Wife wants me to get rid of it but I kind of want to keep it and fix it up since it has sentimental value to me. Only problem is I'm not really into square framed bikes all that much. So looking for suggestions on how to fix it up. Restore (except change color)? Add fatter tires (the wheels need to be replaced anyway) and maybe a suspension fork? Any ideas welcome. Mid-70's Ross 3 speed. Thanks...

ross-1.jpg

If it has 26" wheels (ISO 559mm), you'll be in luck. It's very likely a 1" headset, so you should be able to find a 26" suspension fork with a 1" steerer, but it will probably have to be used as that's an old standard for a mountain bike (but should be cheap . . . of course, it also won't be all that great, but it will absorb shocks). Anything other wheel will be 1-1/8" steerer (or more). You can downsize the front wheel for the fork, but then you'll be buying new brakes and maybe levers and spending way too much for this. If the wheels are 700c (ISO 622mm), you're pretty much stuck with a rigid fork, but you could get tires for a 29" mountain bike (though 700c tires probably come in sizes as wide as you could fit on this bike). Either way, you'll have to measure your clearance front and rear to know how big you can go (and leave enough room for tire size variance and being a little out of true).

I think those tires and wheels are 26 x 1 3/8ths. It'll say on the tire. That will limit your choices to just that size tire. To change the rims out will cost way more than it's worth. 26 x 1.75 wheels have a big selection of good tires but the diameter of the rim is less than the ones on there, meaning your brakes won't reach. Your pedals will be closer to the ground too and may scrape as you lean into a turn. New seat and handlebars too will add to the costs.
The bike looks to be in good shape for being that old. Since you're not into diamond frames, I would clean it up, get it running well and see if someone wants to buy it. Then take that and get a cruiser that you'll like riding.

I like the color. If you flip it, swap out the chainwheel. They look cool on older bikes.

Narrow firm modern saddle, better stem and handle bar that isn't rusted, as far as wheels, fitting anything but EA3 (26"x1 3/8") will be an iffy proposition. The tires are available, but new rims will be expensive, IF you can even find them. What's wrong with the old ones?

I think it's worthy of being rebuilt as is. Chrome handlebars might look better. New tires, new seat, grease and adjust all bearings, polish and/or clear coat frame and ride it.

Latest posts

Back