New member with new find!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My name is LoLo, I live in Breckenridge, CO. We have crazy long winters so when our short summer rolls around, I take advantage and stay outside as much as possible. Riding bikes is a great way to do that; I'm lucky to have mountain biking trails out my front door and I love taking my old hardtail Trek out for a rip. Mountain biking is fun and all, but I have always wanted an old bike to cruise around with, always dreamed of owning a Schwinn Stingray.

A few days ago, I went to the dumpster to throw out some trash and saw a bunch of old bicycles leaning against the dumpster, obviously being thrown out. A white banana seat caught my eye. I walked closer... Schwinn! Stingray! Fair Lady!! The front badge said Chicago on it... I rode it back to my truck... it rode!!! How could I not take it? A free Fair Lady!

I am SO excited about this bike. I cleaned up the chrome and got that seat raised (that was tough... needed a towel and a hammer to get it up). I think I will leave the paint as-is, it's pretty rough but it gives it character. It needs a clearcoating though. Since this was a dumpster find, I'm not too concerned about keeping it original. I have tires, grips, and a new banana seat on the way :grin:

Here's a pic after I cleaned the chrome and raised the seat... I removed the front reflector.

File_004%204_zps4vnnvdjt.jpeg

I looked up the serial number and it's a 1975. I'm excited to join this forum and to work on this bike!

Welcome to the addiction :) old bikes will never leave, but like gremlins in water, they tend to multiply! If you ever feel like making the trip down the hill to Denver we have a good group of folks on oldies. Meet up third sunday of every month for a cruise around town, swap meets a few times a year, and bikes, lots of old bikes :)

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk

Awesome find welcome to the club. your front fender looks like it's on backwards and I would keep that seat it's original and really quite rare.

Welcome aboard.
I'm curious about the rest of the old bicycles by the dumpster.

Welcome LoLo....Nice find.....I'm partial to the stingrays 'cause Ray's the name. I'm a mtn biker as well and like here in the northeast, Colorado has some awesome riding to be had. Now get to collecting and build up your stable!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Squirreldh- thanks for the info! My best friends just moved to Golden, I'm hoping to come down from the mountains more often now.

Scribble- the front fender is indeed on backwards... my boyfriend flipped it around and said it looks cooler, less like a "kid's bike"... whatever. Haha. I'm gonna flip it back soon, I liked it better the right way. I will keep the original seat, it has two stickers underneath that warns it's for one riders, not two... I like it! :)

Falstaff- one bike was definitely a toddler's bike and the other looked like an older BMX bike, it said Piranha on it.... I wish I had taken that one too, but I only had room in my truck for one bike. There will be more dumpster bikes! I once rescued an old Huffy cruiser going to the trash, that was such a cool bike. It was a lady Huffy Bay Pointe 3 speed cruiser... shifted perfectly... I cleaned it up and gave that to a friend.

1oldbikelover- awesome to see other people from Colorado on this forum and also into mountain biking! We live in the perfect state for that :) I'm hoping to get a whole mess of old bikes some day!

Welcome! Sweet find!! By the way, one of our members here, ifitsfreeitsforme, sells some of the coolest grips ever. Check him out in the for sale section. Here's a pair I bought from him.

Latest posts

Back