New project: Gossamer the Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flexy, felt like it was well-used chain DID inspire one addition: a proper chain guide. I did order one last night, but something tells me that I may be doing some engineering to make it work.

I have ordered THREE separate chain guides for Gossi. One mounts to the front mech mount. Another mounts on the chain stay with a dab of double side tape and zip ties. I can’t remember how the other mounts, but I figure if it doesn’t work in one instance, it can work somewhere else. My main concern is chain suck, so I mounted some plastic to a part of the crank to act as an additional chain guide (no pix, yet). I am using Kydex, which has many great properties (I use this material for my puck foils on my goalie pads). I will likely refine my design. The wide/narrow profile can actually become quite noisy in light of me not using a rear mech hanger to use a set of pulleys to tension up the chain. I elected not to try to use a half-link chain. The problem is that with the drop outs designed for a multi-speed set up, tensioning the chain is not quite as easy. These are just the challenges that occur on multi-speed frames adapted to using single speed drivetrains.

Stopped the chain jump with one home-grown and another commercially available devise so the chain doesn’t get sucked between the crank and BB; my challenge now is getting a bit more tension on the chain. I have always had a challenge when going single speed on a bike built for mechanisms.
2C0909FE-4182-49A8-82E1-7CC6DF4F97ED.jpeg
7684D7C9-FF6C-4B38-A9CE-012A52990058.jpeg

I got a few of those 3D printed chain guides as well. They work pretty decent for being so basic. They do eat thru relatively quickly though

Latest posts

Back