"New School" Springer Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've been kicking around the idea of chopping up the rear suspension of a cheapo mountain bike to make a long, cool looking front suspension fork somewhere in the vein of a springer. This idea may not be the most functional, but in the end, I think it might look cool if nothing else.
IMG_20120808_130534.jpg

or add a couple more trusses and set it up like this:
IMG_20120808_130604.jpg

The trusses will probably end up hooking in on my stem or handlebar. Any suggestions? has anyone else atttempted this?

VP

Uh, HI!

First, don't you hate when you think you've got an original idea, only to find that someone else has done it? It's happened to me several times on this wonderful site.

Yes, the Frank bike has a MTB rear as a front springer. It functions quite well, actually, and gets comments wherever I take her. I didn't use a front fork at all, as your first mock ups do, but used the entire rear as the front, welding the rear up to a fork headtube that I had diced up. Took a lot more work than I thought it would to get it just right, but she came out well.

I'll definitely be watching this, to see what you might do with this.

I didnt want to use a rear triangle. I wanted to still use a fork, because it will look more "rod like" and the curvature of the fork will give it a nice stance methinks. No real way to tell until I get something mocked up later this week. I drew up a sketch this morning for my "springer bracket" Gonna send it to my auto-plas guy later this week. I'll post up the sketches at lunchtime.

The frankenbike looks pretty sweet. How does it feel in terms of suspension? Does it actually work? I really don't care, like I said earlier, but I can't help being curious.

The bike I'm mounting this on is actually just a cheapo Walmart cruiser. I liked the frame though, and it was a good basis for a build. The bike will be flat black with minor hints if rust and copper. Im thinking about stripping the paint off the coil spring on this fork setup and letting it rust naturally for a little contrast up front (Flat black bike, Flat black fork, Black rims, black fatty tires) Gonna need a little color right? Keep your eyes open for a build in the near future

VP

Did a mock-up of the longer idea. At first i just had the two sets of trusses coming from the spring. This was just too many swivels for it to work at all. So I added the vertical braces. The verdict? This long spring setup may look ultra cool, but the suspension is absolutley worthless. I expected this. Just wanted to try. The only way I can make the long reach setup work would be to carry it all the way above the stem. That may be the next phase.

IMG_20120809_132128.jpg

So..... back to the drawing board. I apologize for my drawing abilities
IMG_20120809_104645.jpg

IMG_20120809_104711.jpg

VP

I am interested in seeing how your engineering shakes out on this beastie!!

Vonpotter said:
Did a mock-up of the longer idea. At first i just had the two sets of trusses coming from the spring. This was just too many swivels for it to work at all. So I added the vertical braces. The verdict? This long spring setup may look ultra cool, but the suspension is absolutley worthless. I expected this. Just wanted to try. The only way I can make the long reach setup work would be to carry it all the way above the stem. That may be the next phase.

IMG_20120809_132128.jpg

So..... back to the drawing board. I apologize for my drawing abilities
IMG_20120809_104645.jpg

IMG_20120809_104711.jpg

VP

Just a thought...did you try reversing the spring position, like this?
sp1.jpg

ya know, I thought about it, but If I were going to have the spring that close to the fork, I'd just build a more conventional springer fork using this same idea. The bike I'm going to be mounting this on will have a steampunk sort of theme. So the goofy spring farther out may not be the most practical thing in the world, but it fits the theme.

Who ever said Rat rods were practical ya know?

VP

ya know, I thought about it, but If I were going to have the spring that close to the fork, I'd just build a more conventional springer fork using this same idea. The bike I'm going to be mounting this on will have a steampunk sort of theme. So the goofy spring farther out may not be the most practical thing in the world, but it fits the theme.

Who ever said Rat rods were practical ya know?

VP

Digging up a way old thread here, but I figured I'd share the final results of my new school springer

NCM_0144_zps66597243.jpg

NCM_0142_zps3ea09b54.jpg

yep. that's a 29er disk front wheel

Sweet work there!

Latest posts

Back