"New to Wheel building" Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe what I'd like to do is possible, but I've learned here it's usually worth asking.

Is it possible to build a 26" or 24" wheel using an in-hub 2 speed from a 27"?

I have counted the spokes on 3 rear wheels I have handy:
-27" with 40 spokes
-26" with 38 spokes
-24" with 36 spokes

The "mix and match" possibilities don't seem to add up; but often where there is a will there is a way.

Can anyone offer a fresh perspective on this?

As noted above, there isn't a 38 hole rim, it must be a divisible number of 4.
I've seen where others have made a wheel up with different spoke numbered parts, but there's always a risk of a weak wheel. Always have the same number of holes, rim and hub. 3 cross and 4 cross lacing patterns are considered the strongest and most reliable. I use this calculator to determine what size spokes: https://www.bergfreunde.eu/spoke-length-calculator/

@John DelGato, as beginner. The hole counts of the hub and rim must equal the same. The spoke cross patterns vary depending on hole count though. The max cross pattern for 28 holes = 3. For 20 hole it's 2 cross. There must be adequate head clearance to make a proper wheel. In low performance situations adjacent spokes at the hub flange can cross or touch. I avoid that where possible, most pro builder do by lowering the cross pattern count by a factor of 1.

I've done wheels with radial lace on one side and 3 cross on the other. There are too many possibilities to delve into first lesson. The 3 cross spoke pattern is most common for 36 holes. Spoke length availability and cost may be a deciding factor regarding spoke patterns.
The same rules apply for all wheel diameters.

I also made wheels from 24h hubs and 36h rims due to surplus. Open holes in the rim were not a concern.

First wheel build, yes stick with matching hub and rim hole count for spokes. Go with 3 cross. Learn to use spoke length calculator. Check bmxguru.com for spokes, I order there frequently, many spoke type and color choices and build to requested length with no BS. Great prices too.

Your other question, can you use internal gear hub from 27 on othe rim sizes. Absolutely. Please makes sure you have all the associated shifter and brackets to go with it - BEFORE you lace it in. Finding out the parts aren't available or rare after you build your wheel is a bummer.

Latest posts

Back