New Walmart Fat Tire Bike coming in a couple weeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see there's close up pictures and tech specs on the Mongoose Fat Bikes facebook group. Frame and fork are steel.
Looks like its got an alloy micro adjusting seat pin, and 32 spoke wheels. so that would save weight over a steel seat pin and 36 spoke wheels
Here are the specs from Walmart's web site.
urahe3eb.jpg

As you can see it is an aluminum frame with steel forks. I also counted the number of spoke on the picture there it is 36 spokes. Pacific isn't going to build up a totally new wheel just for another cheap bike. That isn't cost effective.
suhejehe.jpg

One spoke is hidden behind the fork.

Someone on the FB group tested the frame with a magnet and said that both the frame and fork are steel.

I wouldn't put 100% stock in what their website says. Last time when the Beast first came out it showed a completely different set of tires than what actually came on the bike.

Someone also said they called Pacific and the aluminum reference was supposedly for the wheels.

Someone on the FB group tested the frame with a magnet and said that both the frame and fork are steel.

I wouldn't put 100% stock in what their website says. Last time when the Beast first came out it showed a completely different set of tires than what actually came on the bike.

Someone also said they called Pacific and the aluminum reference was supposedly for the wheels.

I'd bet money the Massif they are shipping is not aluminum either. The pics on Walmart's site now shows a steel framed version. I'll know in a couple of days what it is. I'm still hoping it is like the one in the earlier pic that was circulating on the Web.

Last edited:
I just looked thru the list of parts that was posted on the FB group. There was a list of part numbers. copied straight from the FB page.

14t-24t rear and 28t front. Here is a copy of the original build sheet posted in an earlier thread.FO261055 FO 26X28.6X222 R D NAVY CS-9101R m DE
HS801GS HS 28.6 BLK B/C/M/R FP-H801S
88HSB18 HS 1 1/8" CAGED BEARING -HEADSETS
SN02 SN 1-1/8 SOLID BLT BLK CAP STARNUT
88HSS5 HS 28.6 BLK 5MM SPACER
88HSS10 HS 28.6 BLK 10MM SPACER
HB690306 HBM 690X30+6 BLK N MTB-153
ST279ADED STAM A 90X40+17 BLK AD-C279-8
GR178LNM GR 90/130 BLK CLD TC-G178 MON
SE3154B SEM JHT-3154 BLK MON ART BLK RSL
SP286300B SP 28.6X300 STL BLACK SP-200 BAOHONG
SPC381B202 SPC 31.8 BLACK W/QR LK-202
BA160JAK BA DISC FRT ALLOY BLK JAK SUPERBRAKE
BA160JAKR BA DISC RR ALLOY BLK JAK JAK-5
BD160JAK BD 160MM JAK
BSJAK5 BS DISC BRAKE SHOES PAIR JAK-5
BL289PA1F BL V VBL-289PA-1 R BLK A SIL RADJ
BL289PA1R BL V VBL-289PA-1 R BLK A SIL RADJ
BH800 BH BRAKE HOUSING 31.50" 800MM
BC1000 BC BRAKE CABLE 1000MM
BH460 BH BRAKE HOUSING 18.11" 460MM
99BCC22 BH BRAKE HOUSING 22" 559MM
BC1000 BC BRAKE CABLE 1000MM
88CEC BC CABLE END CAP
BB3ED BB 3PCS EUR BLK YL-D-3
88BBB BB BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS 3PC CRANK
AXT43 AX SQUARE TAPER 189MM T43 NUT TYPE
88ANC AX BB SPINDLE NUT 8MM THREADS
CDC CR3 CRANK DUST CAP BLACK
CRSAC81 CR3 170 B 36 B DBL CG
PE917FP PE 9/16 BLK/BLK PLS/STL M FP-917
CH6112DS CH HP-6L 112L DARK SILVER
RDTX35 RD 6/7 DM LG BLK RD-TX35 SHIMANO TOURNEY
RS517 RS DNP ECS-517 GRIP BLACK 7SPD
DH240 DH DER. HOUSING 9.45" 240MM
DH310 DH DER. HOUSING 12.20" 310MM
DH490 DH DER. HOUSING 19.29" 490MM
DC2000 DC DERAILLEUR CABLE 2000MM 79"
FRL70 FR 7 14-24T BRN 28T BLK FW-L70 FALCON
FW260469 FW 26 A W RED N BLK D 36H S 3X S
RW260469 RW 26 A W RED N BLK D MF 36H S 3X S
FRSP FRSP 5 1/2 24-30 TC-H02
HWN12 HWN 3/8 HEX NUT BLACK
HWW7 HWW 3/8 SERRATED FLAT WASHER BLACK
TU2640 TU 26 SV X 4.0 S/V 35MM WANDA
TS2670 TS RIM STRIP 26X70MM WANDA
TI261215 TI 26X4.0 BLK P-1215
KS305JTB KS 305 STEEL BLACK CENTER JT-037
WR722SSC RE WHEEL WHITE SATELITE SL-722SSC 32H SP
88FRC RE FRONT WHITE CLIP SATELITE SL-122

I thought the last few items referred to the wheels. But on looking at it, the FW/ RW260469 codes are the wheels. And say 36h. last on the list, I think are wheel reflectors, not sure why it says 32h, maybe just a part of the code number.
The wheels will be different from the original Beast, as they have disc brakes and a freewheel block. Not the coaster brake as on the Beast.
I fully accept that anything Ive said could be wrong. Especially since the information that Wallmart has supplied is a bit suspect, as is usual for that kind of shop. Say things that make the product seem more impressive than it actually is.

Mines on the way also..

Do we know what diameter the seat post is?
You answered the other 2 questions I had about components with that list.

Also, the rims are the same as the beast, but its different hubs, steel bolted freewheels. and its steel f/f

SP286300B SP 28.6X300 STL BLACK SP-200 BAOHONG
Im guessing that's the seat post. 28.6mm diameter by 300mm long

And the next item

SPC381B202 SPC 31.8 BLACK W/QR LK-202
Is a 31.8mm seat clamp, with a quick release.

Expecting one next week, probably won't get ratted out, although you never know.

On the home page with all the bikes this morning it was listed at $224 and free shipping, but it also said it had training wheels, which was pretty funny. I wonder if someone added that just to goof Walmart or what.

COPIED FROM MTBR - Talking about the 20" Mongoose Massif -

It has arrived! Initial impressions:
Its heavy, real heavy.
Rims are very heavy, but there is lots of room to drill. Spokes are laced way to the sides of the rim. Tires are not very supple.
Everything is going to need adjustment, the headset barely turns and all the other walgoose assumptions regarding lube...
Frame wise, the welds look solid enough, not elegant and a little bit sloppy, but I didn't expect much more. The dropouts are really large plates of metal, not really fancy but I bet they will work just great. Stickers peeled right off.
It's really long, 3 feet from axle to axle. Seatpost is 28.6, stand over at the seat tube is 19" with a pretty good upslope from there.
Seems to be a 100mm bottom bracket with a really long spindle. I am pretty sure that I would bend it with that much axle spilling out of the bearings, but it should be fine for a little person... 7 speed freewheel, grip shifter of some sort, boat anchor of a derailleur. Eyeballing the rear hub looks more like a 190 than a 170 but don't quote me on that as I haven't actually pulled the wheel off and measured it.
The brakes look like remarkably capable avid knock offs, but I will pull them off and do a little comparison of what is going on. The rotors I suspect will be much heavier than necessary and probably an easy place to lose some weight.
Ride wise, it is a grin inducer. Remember when you first jumped on a fat bike and felt like a kid again? This thing pulled that smile right back out of me. Not really the best tire for snow and ice which is what outside is around here right now, but you only have a couple inches to fall when you bite it! I could actually see the utility of a little snow bike, makes me think of those old Hannebrinks. Hopefully someone will come out with a little bit more practical tire for snow/ sand, but should be just great for playground stomping, dirt paths and gravel/ rail trails which is most likely where this thing will be ridden.
Overall, I am really happy. Is it of the quality one would expect at this price point? Of course it is. But it is also a twenty inch fat bike and the only player in that game right now. The on-one is a 24" and would still be too big for my 5 year old. Could you build up a bmx with 2+ inch tires and have a more practical lighter bike with effective float for your kid? Of course you could. But this is a mini fat bike, not a fat bmx bike. The chopper potential is just huge on this thing. It is going to be a fun bike and I think stripping it down and building it up with real parts (of which I have way too many lying around in the garage) is going to be a really great father/son project followed by some fun little rides.
Absolutely astounding that they can build this thing and sell it for less than 200 bucks...

COPIED FROM MTBR - Talking about the 20" Mongoose Massif -

Frame wise, the welds look solid enough, not elegant and a little bit sloppy, but I didn't expect much more.

Frame material on the Massif? Rim material?

Latest posts

Back