New Wheel Building Videos from Park Tool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Park Tool just posted these two vids and, I gotta admit, they're pretty well done and easy to follow for the neophyte builder.

Calvin explains spoke length calculations:

Truman laces the wheel:

Considering my recent wheel troubles? This is something I suddenly have interest in for when I find an appropriate rim and hub combination because I am very certain that improved hubs would improve my ride. Plus 'what if I want to go from freewheel to cassette?/

They make it look easy. Makes me want to give it a try, Although I would have to take it to my LBS to get it trued.
I’ve built about 20 wheels, including 6 wood rimed ones. Never for a fat bike or a disc wheel. This is something I have very little need for and I’m not willing to learn. I have trued and dished wheels I’ve built, but I’m with you. The LBS only charges $10 to true and tension a wheel and they will retrue/tension it for free if it goes out or gets soft soon after. I always give them the wheels with the spokes real loose so as not to put a hop in the rim. They do charge quite a bit to build custom wheels so building them yourself is where the big savings seem to be.

Are we talking for a buckboard wagon or...
Or. Definitely or.
a574930f2c87b9d114bc3601e2d5ceec.jpg

Antique track bikes.

I've always built all my own wheels. With spoke calculators available it is easy to buy the correct length spokes. Assembly, tensioning, and truing are somewhat of a Zen exercise. Over the decades I've gotten to where I can build a pretty nice wheel. I am impressed with professional building and that always drives me to set my own personal bar higher. My Schwinn Varsity is waiting for me to install new rims I bought for it. Rear rim failed after 20+ years of on and off road use.
2018 Schwinn Varsity Picture1.jpg

Well, my first attempt at lacing failed. Ah well. should've done the easy thing and just compare replacement wheel to the wheel parts because 'well they literally are the same thing.'

All this is being done with the idea that at some point I will get a different hub and either unlacing the replacement or repairing the bent rim, I will have something better than the freewheel on my current setup (either casset with a wider range with seven gears, or an internal hub gearing system. Either one would be better than the 14-28 decorating my back wheel.)

Fortunately spokes seem to be very forgiving so, I can afford to make the mistakes one makes while learning.

Latest posts

Back