Newbie from sunny SoCal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

Just joined here. I'm only recently getting back into cycling as a way to get the family outdoors for some fun activities. This time around, it's cruisers.

I found this site while researching my latest bike purchase. A used six month old Rat Fink. This is my first ever "chopper" looking bicycle, and I gotta say it's wonderful! The semi recumbent riding position is extremely cozy, and much more efficient then I could have imagined. And the styling is enough to turn the safest automobile drivers into rubbernecks! This thing is a total blast!

890132213_9a6Sb-L.jpg

I'm already wanting to adapt a cool looking, proportionately sized headlight, and maybe 2 small bullet style taillights (1 on each rear dropout), and I'm already thinking about upping to a Nexus internal 7 speed. I have two later model Taiwan framed Schwinn cruisers with the Nexus 7's, and those hubs rock! I'm also thinking it might be nice to add some sort of front brake.

Here's a pic of one of my Schwinn's. It's 2001 "Taiwannabe" Cruiser Deluxe Seven. I love the vintage looks, and the Nexus 7 is a blessing, considering the bike weighs 55 lbs! I wish it at least had an American built frame, but it was affordable enough to not be picky :D I purposely sought out a 2000/2001 because they used the Phantom style chain ring and guard. The later models use a goofy looking tiny chainring, and a butt ugly over sized chain guard. I'd love to have a nice true vintage Phantom, someday, but it's currently not in my budget. Even if I did have one, I'd probably feel the urge to throw on a Nexus 7 :shock:

890132323_dWQfQ-L.jpg

Anyways, this site is great, and I'm glad to be here! I'll be checking out all the cool bikes, on here, and getting some ideas,

The bike bug has bit, again!

L8R

Thanks guys, and I live in Riverside.

Been going through the site looking at all the crazy cool stuff. I especially liked the "tall bike" thread. Man, how do you guys dream this stuff up? Is it the rattle can fumes, or what?

Maybe some day I'll gather up some stuff and build my own true rat rod bike, just like we did as kids in the early 70's. Back then, we were always building up our Schwinns from swapmeet parts.

Latest posts

Back