Nexus 3 skipping forward slipping or ghosting forward

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
The chain on my wife's Dx (nexus 3 coaster with grip shifter) busted the other day, so i went in and changed the chain. Now i'm getting a slipping forward before engaging when pedaling forward, coaster works fine, is just adjustment in the shifter on the hub? Im going to fiddle with that today, i also thought i had too much tension on the chain, now its got about 1/2 slack but still slips. Any other advice would be good. Note that the engaging and shifting were fine before the chain busted. I used the search function and didn't find good info on the subject.
Thanks
Abe

When the wheel moves forward or rearward in the dropouts, even a tiny amount, the shift cable must be adjusted to compensate. :| Common to all internal gear hubs that I have ever seen.

The chain and ITG hub cog wear together. If the bike had some miles on it (maybe the chain was worn n snapped?), the chain could not be seating perfectly with the teeth.

Same as deorman says, adjusting wheel location changes cable tension and might put you awkwardly between shift points.

Yes, the cogs wear as well, especially if the chain is "stretched". I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that a broken chain is probably older and more worn than the cogs on a DX that's running a Nexus hub, so cable adjustment may be all that's needed.

deorman said:
Yes, the cogs wear as well, especially if the chain is "stretched". I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that a broken chain is probably older and more worn than the cogs on a DX that's running a Nexus hub, so cable adjustment may be all that's needed.
Yes! I go thru a couple chains before cog replacement is required.

The Chain was an NOS Diamond Chain #56 or #61 a really nice one.
The cogs looks fine, I have a big boy 52T toothe up front and a Shimano 23 tooth in the rear. Its to make up the ration difference between having a 52T instead of a 46T up front.
The ghosting doesn't happen in the heavy or the easiest gears. It just feels like the hub is not engaging when I pedal for about a 1/4 turn.
everything is tight in the rear, I also have the non-turn washer in the rear drop out.

thanks for the comments.
I'll post some photos, it may help.

Latest posts

Back