Nexus 7 Shift Cable, Need a Longer One.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got one of those Nexus 7 Electra wheels in the fire sale and want to swap the hub into my Basman which has a Nexus 3 speed now. The shifter cable that came with the Electra wheel is too short for this long bike. I've hunted around to find a longer one but haven't had any success.

Can I convert the 3-speed cable to work with the 7-speed? It is extra long on the bike so I do have extra length to work with. The end that goes to the hub is different though.

I plan on using the 7-speed grip shifter. Thanks for any advice.

I also bought a 3-speed Electra wheel so I'll pull the shifter stuff from that box and compare it to the 7-speed.

When you say "Standard shift cable", does someone sell it in bulk with the housing?

Any good bike store will either have or will be able to get you tandem length shifter cable and shifter cable housing, no problem.

Wal Mart has the 4 pack of Bell cables for $7. Two brake and 2 shifter cables. The long shifter cable was plenty long enough on my Dyno with apehangers and a Nexus 7 speed. Before installing, measure how much cable is sticking of out the housing at the wheel to the clamp that locks into the hub(with shifter in 1st gear). Make new cable the same and it will adjust really quick!

mitchelangelo said:
Wal Mart has the 4 pack of Bell cables for $7. Two brake and 2 shifter cables. The long shifter cable was plenty long enough on my Dyno with apehangers and a Nexus 7 speed. Before installing, measure how much cable is sticking of out the housing at the wheel to the clamp that locks into the hub(with shifter in 1st gear). Make new cable the same and it will adjust really quick!

I'll give that a shot. Haven't done anything with it yet. I need to get shorter spokes. Looks like I could use the spokes from the Electra wheel but the bike has black spokes and the Electra wheel is silver. I'm going to check with a LBS and see if they can shorten my existing spokes. If not I found custom length black SS spokes for a buck a piece online.

I got the cable set from Walmart. I'll compare tonight. Thanks for the tip!

I stopped by my usual lbs but they closed their service department.

NicksGarage said:
I got the cable set from Walmart. I'll compare tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Well that didn't work. The longest cable in the set was only about 1 1/2" longer than the one that came with the Nexus 7. Next stop, LBS.

the Basman is a long bike.The Wal Mart cable was longer than the stock Nexus 7 cable that came with my wheel. Maybe they're different in your area? Good luck!

schwinnndyno005_zps4316ed78.jpg

It was worth a shot. They could have listed the lengths on the package. You can see how far the cable has to travel since the frame is long and low. I can always just use the one that's on the 3-speed as it's way too long anyway.

basman006.jpg

Latest posts

Back