Nexus Suicide Shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I would like to get a suicide shifter for a Nexus grip shift. I've seen the HBBC ones, and they are exactly what I'm looking for. The downside is, that they seem sold out everywhere, and or no longer made. Is there another shifter and mount out there that is similar?

Thanks in advance.

You may have to build your own, uncle. You can modify a grip shifter or thumb shifter to make that suicide shifter.
-There is a stick shifter how-to in the how-to sub-forum.
-There is also a custom shifter thread in the show-me-your... sub-forum.
-You can find something that will work on EBay. There are always some old muscle bike shifters up for auction.

They're not too hard to make. I don't know that specific shifter, but the biggest obstacle you might have is keeping the assembly together without the handlebar grip that often does that job. I think some shifters might be fine on their own, but the ones I used on Retro Rocket (some lower end late '90s Shimano 3x7 or 8) were not, so I had to devise a retainer/tensioner. I don't have a better pic, but the shifters are mounted on a piece of handlebar that spans the rocket body. The shifter rods pass through a shaft collar attached to the rotating shifter indexer and an eyebolt that sits in the center of the piece of handlebar. The eyebolt rotates freely with the rotating indexer and is connected to the tensioner, which is adjusted from inside the rocket body. It works by pulling the shift rod in toward the rocket body, serving to both hold the shift mechanisms together and adjust the tension on the shifter to eliminate ghost shifting (a persistent, though mostly conquered problem with the necessarily convoluted cable routing I had to employ). If you're interested in pics of the mechanism, I can get those tomorrow, but a more traditional bike frame mount would be less complicated and fussy.

ACME Rocket.jpg

They're not too hard to make. I don't know that specific shifter, but the biggest obstacle you might have is keeping the assembly together without the handlebar grip that often does that job. I think some shifters might be fine on their own, but the ones I used on Retro Rocket (some lower end late '90s Shimano 3x7 or 8) were not, so I had to devise a retainer/tensioner. I don't have a better pic, but the shifters are mounted on a piece of handlebar that spans the rocket body. The shifter rods pass through a shaft collar attached to the rotating shifter indexer and an eyebolt that sits in the center of the piece of handlebar. The eyebolt rotates freely with the rotating indexer and is connected to the tensioner, which is adjusted from inside the rocket body. It works by pulling the shift rod in toward the rocket body, serving to both hold the shift mechanisms together and adjust the tension on the shifter to eliminate ghost shifting (a persistent, though mostly conquered problem with the necessarily convoluted cable routing I had to employ). If you're interested in pics of the mechanism, I can get those tomorrow, but a more traditional bike frame mount would be less complicated and fussy.

View attachment 132125
I really love that bike

Thanks for the replies.
I'll try to piece something together. Currently, I'm using a BMX quill stem clamped on the handlebars and then I put the shifter on the stem. It works just fine. I have some ideas on what to work with, but I was hoping for something a little more 'put together' looking, than what I'll be able to fabricate. I'm not the best fabricator. Mechanically I'm good, but fabrication is not my forte'.

94520872_10217231905255453_5835642017207549952_n.jpg
61614044_10214666373958774_3745243642827112448_n.jpg

Creating a custom shifter from a stock one can be done with a drill, hack saw and hand file.
-You can get raw metal stock at the hardware store.
- For some of those cable and bracket parts, its usually cheapest to by a used kids bike at a yard sale.

I saw where a guy mounted his nexus grip shifter on his seat post on a Dyno Roadster. Hey, it worked out fine.

I saw where a guy mounted his nexus grip shifter on his seat post on a Dyno Roadster. Hey, it worked out fine.

Yeah, i had it there, and it worked well. The downside is, I want my seat as low as I can, so I had to raise it.

I ended up finding an HBBC shifter and mount online. So I ordered them. Now, I'm waiting for them to show up. I'll post pictures when I install it.

Thanks for the replies.

The only bad thing about those HBBC shifters is you can't put any kind of shifter knob on them that has any kind of weight to them because it will pull apart from the shimano shifter part, can't tell you how many times I had to polish road rash out of one , I started using the project 346 shifter I like it a lot better, I'll buy 2 or 3 of them at a time order direct from ruff takes a little longer to get but 24.98 euros there verses 65 to 75 USD here just saying , but I think my next build I'm going to go ahead and pay up for a Boxcar shifter, I hear nothing but good about those

The only bad thing about those HBBC shifters is you can't put any kind of shifter knob on them that has any kind of weight to them because it will pull apart from the shimano shifter part, can't tell you how many times I had to polish road rash out of one , I started using the project 346 shifter I like it a lot better, I'll buy 2 or 3 of them at a time order direct from ruff takes a little longer to get but 24.98 euros there verses 65 to 75 USD here just saying , but I think my next build I'm going to go ahead and pay up for a Boxcar shifter, I hear nothing but good about those
Yes, Boxkars are really nice. I have a few. Now they sell them for just 3 speed hubs and are much less expensive.

Here's one I made using a Shimano grip shifter. It's a little more elaborate than most homebrew shifters, but it's solid. Can be made to work with the 3 speed grip shifter too. I started this on a 3 speed then decided to use it on a 7 speed bike instead. It does take some time and patience as well as a drill, hacksaw and a Dremel to make, but all parts except the knob came from Home Depot. The knob is a wooden "doll head" from a craft store.
9dc58bd2f320761ac76e7ee1042d5d7c.jpg
68282cb5e59debf93361ecdd8ae4e81a.jpg
a4435d0303b2e0b019c1dc375361f9dc.jpg
cbefaf2de5942d1b03eae1762b0d90d1.jpg
c740a27db09c9b42d10c7ac9cff7dbec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Here's one I made using a Shimano grip shifter. It's a little more elaborate than most homebrew shifters, but it's solid. Can be made to work with the 3 speed grip shifter too. I started this on a 3 speed then decided to use it on a 7 speed bike instead. It does take some time and patience as well as a drill, hacksaw and a Dremel to make, but all parts except the knob came from Home Depot. The knob is a wooden "doll head" from a craft store.
9dc58bd2f320761ac76e7ee1042d5d7c.jpg
68282cb5e59debf93361ecdd8ae4e81a.jpg
a4435d0303b2e0b019c1dc375361f9dc.jpg
cbefaf2de5942d1b03eae1762b0d90d1.jpg
c740a27db09c9b42d10c7ac9cff7dbec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This is great, I am going to build the same to go on my Nirve chopper. How is the bolt and nut that runs through the centre attached. Did you use a section of handlebar tubing?

Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I would like to get a suicide shifter for a Nexus grip shift. I've seen the HBBC ones, and they are exactly what I'm looking for. The downside is, that they seem sold out everywhere, and or no longer made. Is there another shifter and mount out there that is similar?

Thanks in advance.
Hi I’ve got a spare one if you’re interested. I’m in Australia so if I send it by snail mail shipping shouldn’t be to expensive

Hi I’ve got a spare one if you’re interested. I’m in Australia so if I send it by snail mail shipping shouldn’t be to expensive
I've got a Project 346 shifter like new , I went with a boxkar shifter, the 346 is a better shifter because you don't have to use the plastic shimano shifter, but will let it go for 40 bucks plus shipping, I'm in North Georgia

I've got a Project 346 shifter like new , I went with a boxkar shifter, the 346 is a better shifter because you don't have to use the plastic shimano shifter, but will let it go for 40 bucks plus shipping, I'm in North Georgia
To easy, if you get in trouble or if you decide you want it I’m happy to help out. I’m not going to use it as my wife doesn’t like the idea of taking one hand off the handlebars

This is great, I am going to build the same to go on my Nirve chopper. How is the bolt and nut that runs through the centre attached. Did you use a section of handlebar tubing?
It's a piece of 7/8" aluminum rod. 5/16" hole bored through it on a lathe. Piece of handlebar and spacers would work the same. Used a chain link fence clamp to attach to top tube of frame.

Latest posts

Back