No. 3 build ready to kick off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember first seeing one of those Saabs for the first time in 1967, when we moved from Phoenix Arizona to Duluth Minnesota. People in snow country really liked those little Saabs.

My first three builds were all stashed safely in a storage facility here in town after the house move in early 2019. No. 3 was just about 99% completed apart from tracking down a genuine Gnome/Rhone threaded exhaust fastener to secure the pipe to the cylinder head. Fired her up a few times - without the exhaust attached - and pootled up and down the village street in the days before the removal men trucked our possessions away. Really would love to unearth my 3 x bikes from storage - but with 7 bikes already dotted around the apartment here, there just isn't room. Maybe time to prioritize what to keep and what to move on...
FSCN3890.JPG

My first three builds were all stashed safely in a storage facility here in town after the house move in early 2019. No. 3 was just about 99% completed apart from tracking down a genuine Gnome/Rhone threaded exhaust fastener to secure the pipe to the cylinder head. Fired her up a few times - without the exhaust attached - and pootled up and down the village street in the days before the removal men trucked our possessions away. Really would love to unearth my 3 x bikes from storage - but with 7 bikes already dotted around the apartment here, there just isn't room. Maybe time to prioritize what to keep and what to move on... View attachment 223597
Pete, I’ve been fascinated with all your builds but number 3 has always caught my eye. Everything about it, from the homemade aluminum frame to the springer fork and the sprung rear , a true work of art!! Love it!

My first three builds were all stashed safely in a storage facility here in town after the house move in early 2019. No. 3 was just about 99% completed apart from tracking down a genuine Gnome/Rhone threaded exhaust fastener to secure the pipe to the cylinder head. Fired her up a few times - without the exhaust attached - and pootled up and down the village street in the days before the removal men trucked our possessions away. Really would love to unearth my 3 x bikes from storage - but with 7 bikes already dotted around the apartment here, there just isn't room. Maybe time to prioritize what to keep and what to move on... View attachment 223597
Good on ya Pete!
So glad you replied, great to see your still hanging,. How ya travlin with the general flow of things since the wife moved on 😎

Good on ya Pete!
So glad you replied, great to see your still hanging,. How ya travlin with the general flow of things since the wife moved on 😎
I'm doing OK, thanks for asking. Just can't shake off the constant breathlessness after two bouts of Covid since last June. Long Covid symptoms seem able to hang round for what feels like forever. That, together with general lethargy following Jen's loss, has been responsible for the lack of any real progress on my current build. Plus, my e-bike is laid up for the winter since the local authority gritted and salted the roads here, so I can't even enjoy a ride out. Too cold for that anyway. Spring's just around the corner, so I'd like to get the ACE ready in time ....

Those leaf sprung forks from AliExpress showed-up in today's mail. No import duty levied, so that's a win.
Can confirm the steer tube is 1-1/8" threadless. Very clean, well made set of forks these. And not covered in rust like the last drop loop frame I received via The Orient. Extremely pleased with my purchase.
DSCN4176 (2).JPG
DSCN4181 (2).JPG

Those leaf sprung forks from AliExpress showed-up in today's mail. No import duty levied, so that's a win.
Can confirm the steer tube is 1-1/8" threadless. Very clean, well made set of forks these. And not covered in rust like the last drop loop frame I received via The Orient. Extremely pleased with my purchase.
View attachment 224616View attachment 224617
Link?

Old school. Wish I knew how to do links, but I can't. Suggest looking for seller Cool One Bike Store on AliExpress. I've purchased from them before, so I can testify they're bonafide.
Fork

Latest posts

Back