BO15 No Mask Necessary

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright guys, I just moved Donkey Kong Love Dubstep into the Build forum and I’m starting a new build-off Bike now.

Why? I build bikes I want, I didn’t want the Donk, I can’t imagine myself riding it much and as fun as it was to fit 32” tires on an old Murray, I just wasn’t digging it.

So tonight I grabbed this frame from the shed.

3e12d0cc905aee700bef44befa3a9d3a.jpg

It’s a USA Huffy that’s been sitting in my open shed for years in the weather.

I got out the wire wheel and started cleaning the rust and some bad spray paint.

84e4cb878ccadf9fc77b4b2b1c8b3ff6.jpg

Then I painted it, this could be a primer coat or I might go with it.

bb1343f327d0c6e800a673cc8426c635.jpg

Then I grabbed a fork from the pile, cleaned and painted it.

5620cc236889f74991aebcefcddae60b.jpg

While the paint was out I might as well match a chainguard in case I want to use it.

0b424829aed1191afd470975b3eba237.jpg

I think it was off of a 50s JC Higgins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the paint dried I grabbed some wheels from the shed. They aren’t a matched set but they are both USA made, alloy coaster rear and mid/high flange front with heavy duty spokes.

They need to match so I got out some cream paint.

Now I have to apologize to people reading this from California (and sea turtles) for what you’re about to see.

343efedfee4c5493bd96505b464c4386.jpg

Best way to mask spokes and nipples to just paint rims.

cd5ac47529092c413248bfb05cceec44.jpg

And then I painted them and forgot to take any photos. Stay tuned.

Quick progress! Plenty of time to finish this one!

Quick progress! Plenty of time to finish this one!

Yeah, doesn’t need much more. Might end up being a nice bike to haul in the back of the ‘47 pickup I’m building. Nothing too special, but should get some attention.

Any updates on the truck?

Any updates on the truck?

I found a 39 Chevy front end for it, gathering parts to get the engine running. I bought some 17x8 smoothies for it and painted them the same color I just painted my bike rims. Still looking for bedsides.

3db9aa205cbfa6a5b5418c971623bd5f.jpg

I found a 39 Chevy front end for it, gathering parts to get the engine running. I bought some 17x8 smoothies for it and painted them the same color I just painted my bike rims. Still looking for bedsides.

3db9aa205cbfa6a5b5418c971623bd5f.jpg

Maybe a wood bed and stave sides? Or a wooden sided bed? We had a '41 Dodge as a farm truck, sides rusted out, and we used it to haul sweet corn, potatos, and other veggies to the farmer's market. My dad made a flip down stave side on the sidewalk side of the truck bed (all the vehicles were parked around the county courthouse square). Wish I had some photos.

Maybe a wood bed and stave sides? Or a wooden sided bed?

I bought rear fenders for it, I could make wood bed sides but I really want steel. 1 reproduction bedside costs 3-4x what I paid for the truck, so if I can’t find anything I’ll be buying a couple sheets of 18ga sheetmetal and just cutting and breaking my own sides.

Alright guys, I just moved Donkey Kong Love Dubstep into the Build forum and I’m starting a new build-off Bike now.

Why? I build bikes I want, I didn’t want the Donk, I can’t imagine myself riding it much and as fun as it was to fit 32” tires on an old Murray, I just wasn’t digging it.

:20::cry: I was loving the donk!

Ran home for lunch and put a few more layers of paint on it. This is the topcoat but it will be weathered.

549728d9d3bc359ac1963591b2ef5c48.jpg

Here’s a quick picture of the cream wheels, paint still curing.

1291b63cbdaebd1e517efdee0198106b.jpg

That's an awesome color

I pulled some tires from upstairs in the shop, sprayed down with Simple Green, scrubbed them, and hosed them off. While hosing them off it started raining, so I had to pack it in.

I like the paint mix a lot. I'm sure there is more aging to come. Looking great in short order.

I like the paint mix a lot. I'm sure there is more aging to come. Looking great in short order.

Thanks. Yes, I have more work on the patina. I would be riding it today but looks like the in-laws will be home when I get home from work.

I’ll be back and forth on what bars to use anyway.

Latest posts

Back