No name road bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got to come up with a name for this one but was just a 70's Japanese road bike that was given to me. Been wanting a bike to ride with some friends and one of them had this hanging in his garage.
As delivered
48C156F1-2A0B-4EBE-B340-C542108831AE_zpsbi8qowib.jpg

I had some paint laying around so I stripped it and started with a mint color
91B52803-96B3-49F9-9B61-90D6C16EF75A_zps1ngqrhoe.jpg

Decided it would be cool to accent the lugs with some gold
C23543E8-8F39-4A48-BAA4-3EFF55F897A7_zpsiwez7ex3.jpg

Then decided to polish up the handle bars brake levers and the cranks. Messy but good results
48705B02-AAC5-4810-B81B-B8EDCFCB4431_zpsezzz4trj.jpg

The rims are a completely different story they were scared up so decided to do the best I could with a wood block and sand paper to resurface them. Turned out really nice painted them black then sanded the side walls until all the black was polished off.
Here is what they looked like before I started
FC82ED8D-6D05-4CFA-8B1C-8022886D27E1_zpsxy03kaxj.jpg

They ended up really nice considering what they looked like before. Should stop better as well
8CA55490-92E5-4F02-A7D1-BE68A67EA0A1_zpsnhxcoudu.jpg

I have no finger prints left but it is all done finally, ordered me some tires last night night and now have to sort all the shifter cables out brakes and run the lines. The sun tour shifters on this bike are cool just got to run all the cables and want to make it look as clean as I can.

Thanks for the kind words. I've never owned a bike with gears, all of them have been single speed cruisers. So having to figure out how to run the cables to make it as clean as I can. As far as the colors go I like the mint green and this was the closest I could find at Lowes, the painted the lugs and had a hard time making a clean line so figured I would use a color to sort of mask the mistakes. Got a gold paint marker and went to town, I'm happy with the way it looks but at times was wondering if some of the paint was a mistake. More I look at it the more I like it though.

And the bus lets just say its a large project, was parked in late 70's and was never covered up. I've replaced a decent amount of metal but still have alot more to make and weld in.

good job, keep it up. That would make a great single speed with just a front brake.

Although I like the clean look of a single speed or fixie bike, alot of my buddies go on long trecks and I will end up going on some I'm sure. So want to make something that isn't going to kill me on a pretty long ride. The gold was just a random though went and got a calligraphy paint pen. Was a pain in the neck but couldn't find anyone to help me find a paint pen that would have worked better. I had to dab the tip down couple of times each time I used it but it worked great.

Thanks I have a thread on thesamba on the build but as of the past year very little has been done yet.

Have the brake lines routed, ordered a brooks saddle so should have it cruising soon pretty stoked about it.
BE14AC1C-67E1-420A-94FB-2269EDBC63AB_zps3tawhwgz.jpg

Also didn't have a seat post that fit it seems to be an odd size s took an old one split it made it larger and welded up the slice fits perfect now.

Got the bars taped up last night
E1CB8ABB-B503-4F8B-BED0-A483754216CF_zpshp5vikyp.jpg
Took one last picture before bed, turned out the lights and it just looked cool
7CE940D7-25A6-430C-8052-6E7EF9FFD850_zps17elhk3v.jpg

Was a early fathers day present!
Funny that the seat is worth more than the bike ever will be lol.

I was really happy with the way the bar wrap turned out. I've never done it before just hope it holds up when riding
E26E8920-1CCA-47D7-A20C-FEA32E82F1C5_zpskj83rohu.jpg

Went home on my lunch break and threw it together I couldn't resist. Will take it out on a test run this afternoon, I have always ridden either a cruiser or ridden bmx. This is the first time I've been on a "road" bike so should be interesting.
BC7BA45E-BDB0-48CD-8BC3-96969DE601A0_zps6mq7k8lf.jpg

Latest posts

Back