Nogoodnic's Seat!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go my friend!

Thanks for your patience :wink: :mrgreen:

So here you go! Nic and I worked out a deal and I thought I would share the build with the rest of the gang.

here is the seat.....I do not know the history of the seat or who made it, so I hope NGN can fill us in on that one
IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

NGN had already sandblasted it so we were of to a good start..but as you can see here the metal was gone around the bolt :cry: and ther were a few other little holes in the seat pan.

no problem!!!!

the welder can take care of that!
IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

once the holes were filled in and the bolt secured, I just grinded it smooth

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Next I rust mort the metal (to prevent further rust) than gave it a good bath before it rec'vd shot of primer :D

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

As for the spring set up ...it will need more time in the blast cabinet before it can start.
IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

If I remember right NGN you wanted it Black? right!

This is way too cool, I'm getting a Firewalker seat to put on my Firebike!!!

I really don't have much history on the seat either, all I can tell you is that last fall I was on my down to ride with Chainy and Giggs and the rest of the crew down there and stopped in Owasso for a visit at House of Wheels that hosted the Owasso Bike Fest last year. I was talking to the owner Rick and mentioned that I was looking for a Persons style seat with the long springs for my bike, he litteraly turned around and picked up this really ratty seat from behind him and said "Like this?" I said "yes, how much?" and he said because its a womens seat and in rough shape, hows $5 sound :shock: ?" I couldn't get to my wallet quick enough. Judging from the size of the seat post clamp I would guess its pre-war, other than that any help from the bike gurus here would be appreiciated in identifying it.

I did take it over to a buddys for sandblasting to see if it was going to be salvagable. After pealing two completly shreaded seat covers off, disassembling it and a quick sand blast I had my doubts. I ask Murray about it and he said no problem. We worked out a deal and here we are.

Murray, for now the bottom will be black, someday I hope to get the under-carrage chromed to match my springer but that is a ways down the road.

I giddy with antis......................................................................................apation...Kelly :mrgreen:

due to the age of the seat the metal around the edge is no longer true! :?

IMG_3420.jpg

the problem with this is that when you go to wrap the material around the pan it will not lay flat and the seat will cut into the material ......not good......

so by using this windlace I now have a true edge for the material to lay flat to and in turn give me a nice line :wink: :mrgreen:

IMG_3423.jpg

once I lay the foam down you will not notice the windlace once done!

FW

I was wondering how the edge would be cleaned up so that it wasn't a saw blade. That pan already looks 100% better. Thanx...Kelly

Hey Murray, any news. Sorry, I'm trying to be patient...Kelly

Sorry man ....And to the rest of you all....I had to go back to school for a time.

The Olympics are coming to town and they wanted to make me an HazMat instructor.....(wished I payed better attention in High school chem class rather than Sindy... :roll: lol aahhhhh Sindy)

I have not forgotten you all! :wink:

So matterial!?

if I remember right you had asked for something to match your shifter, and we had talked about using ostrich and black......yes/no?

how is this

IMG_3473.jpg

this is the one I felt would work well with you!

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

the other question I have for you is.....would you like the seat to be a low pan style (not much foam) like on the big bikes? or with more foam like you see here on the right. I ask this because of the style of the bike. Post a pic of that great ride if you can.

IMG_3474.jpg

let me know. I would like to finish it for you and have it shipped this Monday :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thanks again for your patience...your the best!

Cool! No rush if you've got somthing else going on, I was just courious about an update. From the color chart the big piece or the one just above it to the far right look close to the right color, I can't quite read the names. I think the lower pan is a good idea and will flow with the bike better. Heres some new pictures that I took right after Autorama. Thanks Murray...Kelly
eitniear4el6.jpg

Here is a close up of the shifter it is stained with Minwax Jacobean and is pretty dark.
eitniear3rp5.jpg

Cool my friend!

I normaly get the seats done right away! thanks again.

seeing your shifter again the ostrich I have looks too light to match? The one you see in the picture is more like a Caramel... :? .... I'm thinking of ordering in a darker one....I have to order in some snake skin anyhow :mrgreen:

So a low pan hey! the seat will be more show than comfort than ...thats cool.

I'll post some pics soon but I going to short strand (fiberglass) the pan to get rid of all the pot marks and pin holes so that when you look under the seat it will look right...COOL! :wink:

Murray

OK so before I head into work today I short strand the inside of the pan....not worried about the top for the material will cover that. But because you will be able to see the underside, it should be clean and smooth :mrgreen:

It will dry tonight anf tomorrow I will sand it all down.
IMG_3480.jpg

Also Kelly...... I ordered in the darker ostrich today! I belive it will be a better match to your stick shift. besides...if this bike is going to be in shows the presure of this Canadian is on the line :wink:

FW

SWEET! The pan is looking good. For the design I liked the tribal that you had shown me awhile back. Look forward to seeing the designs you come up with...Kelly

my camera packed it it so I missed a few steps like the sanding of the underside of the pan and the priming of the spring assembly plus paint :x

no matter...I layed down one inch of foam onto the panand then layed a section of 1/4 to smooth it all out
IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

and there you have it

IMG_6390.jpg

now for the design....man this has been a hard one for me this time around :roll:

I just got the darker Ostrich the other day and it a great match to your shifter :D

here is one idea that came to mind
IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

were there is foam that would be Ostrich....

then I changed the side flames to more like this
IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

I did not start anything just yet till I get some feedback from you....let me know :wink: :D

FW

Yes! I really like your second design. The new color looks great and should be a good match. Thanks Murray...Kelly

Cool, I'm looking forward to it . BTW my bike is curently in the window of a local art gallery and another gallery has ask if they can use it for a couple weeks at the end of June, maybe with an awsome seat :mrgreen: ...Kelly

YOUR SEAT IS DONE!!! The only thing that I did not do was the seat post clamp....It did not look like it would work for a FireBike seat post.

now only if I can find a camera that works Ill post a pic! None the less I will send it out ASAP....

can you PM me your full mailing address

Thanks Murray

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!! Thank you! I can't wait to see it. You are the man...Kelly :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back