NonGoose 26 BMX project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha no decals..I think I will get some re-pop ones for my build, the others they are on their own on that front.

Got all the tabs welded in today. They look big but when looking at the whole bike they fit the frame and proportion.

non goos project by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Invested in some tools, I've needed it for some time...

Got the head tubes faced so all the bikes are ready to go!

Next will be me building up one... stay tuned....

That's funny....someone gave me one of those tools a year or two ago in a box of stuff and I wasn't sure what it was used for. What did you have to pay for that one?

around 3 hundred bucks. What is does is even out the head tube so it is razor straight. You can also face the inside diameter of a head tube to accept a bearing race, it makes a precision fit possible. I've needed one for a while so there you go. :)

around 3 hundred bucks. What is does is even out the head tube so it is razor straight. You can also face the inside diameter of a head tube to accept a bearing race, it makes a precision fit possible. I've needed one for a while so there you go. :)

Good to know. Have this one hanging on my wall and wasn’t quite sure what it was for.

43f37c65b67f10969b97702cbd7eaeef.jpg

Well, if you ever get the itch to start making frames you'll need that tool or a lathe to make the head tubes straight inside and out.

Mine is off to paint, going to go yellow. My pal works at a Porche dealership, so for once in a long while I won't have a rattle can finish! :)

getting some parts together, should be able to source all my bits from my personal hoard of bike crap.

non goose project by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

So is weld quality based mostly on experience or on the quality of equipment that is being used....or both?

Trying to understand how some welders get this level of results in their work...

View attachment 72957

A little of both in my experience. If your a good welder (weldor) you can throw down nice welds even with a clunky old machine that is functioning correctly. If your a good welder with a really nice modern solid state machine with all the latest features, well, it's kind of like driving a brand new car where everything is a little better.
Cool project by the way Paul.
Pat

haha yeah the fork I have is 21.1 ID so I'll have to go old school or make my own. :)

Yeah, so many "standards" out there you know....

Bars are flat black now, or satin black? Well they are black.

IMG_0818 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I figured just to make it more custom while I wait for my frame to come back from the painter (it could be a while) I'd make a cool custom stem.

People are going bananas for the slant stem and double clamp stem look right now..

I had three OG Redline stem clamp, can't do anything with three but look at them. I showed them to a pal of mine and he said he could make more so I gave him one. I went ahead and did a bunch of the plates and made about 20 Redline copy stems in 22.2 diameter instead of 21.1. I still have a some clamps left and some bases so I needed a 21.1 stem for this bike.

A worthy candidate is selected...

IMG_0817 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I sliced of the gooseneck part and cut the shaft at a 45 degree angle (about).

Welded it together...welds looking better. I figure another 20 frames and I'll have the consistency I want in my welds.

IMG_0819 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0820 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

looks old school enough to fool the "experts" :)

IMG_0822 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0823 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

The base will most likely get the flat black treatment too...

yeah, improvement is the goal and it is paying off... :)

Latest posts

Back