Not too shabby for free (Giant MTB)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So a couple of days ago, my son asked me "hey, you want a bike for free?" (To which the correct answer, of course, is ALWAYS "yes.") One of his college housemates graduated and moved back home a few states away, and he left behind a bike he didn't want. It had been sitting on a porch untouched for a couple of years and looked pretty crusty, so the other guys in the house were just going to throw it out. I figured it might be a Wallyworld-type MTB, which would be a perfect wheel donor for my planned RRBBO 16 project. To my surprise, it looked a little too nice to cut up:

20210511_233423.jpg
20210511_214351.jpg
20210511_214405.jpg
20210511_214430.jpg
20210511_214524.jpg

Quick assessment: wheels are straight, derailleurs are both free, suspension fork compresses when you lean on it, brakes work as they should. Needs a good bath, a chain, and a couple of tubes. (I tried airing them up. The rear lasted three minutes before loudly and suddenly hissing out, the front made it a whole 20 minutes.) Should be a nice cleanup project, and it'll be the first suspension bike I've owned. So how'd I do?

Cleaned up pretty good for a quick wipedown. I'm not big on disassembling stuff down to the last nut and bolt.
20210522_152012.jpg
20210522_151934.jpg
20210522_151927.jpg

Total expense: two tubes for $3 each and a chain for $12.

Rides nice and works great except for one thing: I have gotten the chain jammed down between the freewheel and the spokes a few times now. I was starting to think I was losing my touch with the low gear limit screw on the rear derailleur. I would adjust it, and it'd work great at first, but then one trip up and down the block and it would overshoot again. Finally it occurred to me to check the orientation of the screw head when it was adjusted properly, and sure enough, it was backing itself out after just a few shifts.
20210522_152848.jpg

Are the limit screws supposed to have springs behind them to keep them tight? Because this one doesn't. And if not, how do I get this one to stop backing itself out of adjustment?

Are the limit screws supposed to have springs behind them to keep them tight? Because this one doesn't. And if not, how do I get this one to stop backing itself out of adjustment?

Depends on the style. Some older, all-metal versions have used springs--most modern derailleurs don't. I'd suggest a drop of blue loctite on the threads and allow it to cure. The blue stuff isn't permanent, just waxy; you can still make adjustments later.

NEVER turn down the offer of a free bike. I've received far more surprises than I have disappointments. At worst, the thing gets stripped and thrown in a dumpster.

Latest posts

Back