Nuts for Onex29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across an anomaly when replacing the axle nuts on my Onex29. On the older black rims the front axle nut I found out was a 3/8 ×26tpi, and the rear was an odd #9×26tpi however when I bought a 3/8×24 nut and used it on the back axle fine, but when I had the nut guaged at a bike shop, it fit a9×26 bolt. Does anyone know what the axle sizes are on the Onex29?

• Hand-crafted lightweight aluminum cruiser frame
  • Pedal brakes
  • High-tensile steel fork
  • Kickstand included
  • Oversized 29er alloy rims
  • Custom Comfort Cruiser Saddle
  • Dimensions: 75"L x 29.5"W x 47"H
Not much telling of the spec on the Kent website. Try looking for the right hardware at Ace.

When you say #9...do you mean 9mm?

The only 9mm x 26tpi is an uncommon size used on campagnolo front hubs. That wouldn't be on your ONEX.

Metric rear axles are usually M10 x 1 mm pitch. A 3/8" - 24tpi nut wouldn't fit on it.

A 3/8" - 24tpi nut will kinda fit on a 9mm x 1mm bolt because the 9mm diameter is ~.020" smaller and the tpi is close-ish at 24tpi vs 25.4tpi if the nut is narrow enough (a wider nut will bind as 24 v 25.4 isn't close enough).

So, I assume you either have a 3/8" - 24 on the back of your ONEX -or- a weird 9mm x 1mm rear axle.

When you say #9...do you mean 9mm?

The only 9mm x 26tpi is an uncommon size used on campagnolo front hubs. That wouldn't be on your ONEX.

Metric rear axles are usually M10 x 1 mm pitch. A 3/8" - 24tpi nut wouldn't fit on it.

A 3/8" - 24tpi nut will kinda fit on a 9mm x 1mm bolt because the 9mm diameter is ~.020" smaller and the tpi is close-ish at 24tpi vs 25.4tpi if the nut is narrow enough (a wider nut will bind as 24 v 25.4 isn't close enough).

So, I assume you either have a 3/8" - 24 on the back of your ONEX -or- a weird 9mm x 1mm rear axle.
Turns out the tech measured it wrong. It is actually a 3/8×26t. Fits.

Latest posts

Back