Off-Roadster (ORBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, rode 8 or so miles north to Floyd Lamb MTB trails near the big north wash at mid day. Bike rides well. Feels good under the feet. I bent the make-shift seat post. I really need a real lay back post.
20211128_144839.jpg

20211128_132659.jpg

Kickback needs to be a little looser on the shifting. Hopefully after a trip or two it will wear in.
20211128_130633.jpg
20211128_130646.jpg

More to come. I do have a heavy JCPenny lay back on that Spalding frame that may steal until I find a better one.

Pulled a 7/8 seat post from parts I had gathered for another build. Have to grease the hole as its a tight fit. I also pulled that old JC Penny bent tube BMX post. The JCP weighs in at almost 2 lbs the thick walled aluminum post is 8.5 Oz.
20211128_172610.jpg

Will go with the lighter one. It's as thick as thos aluminum handlebars
20211128_172646.jpg

Now the saddle is also getting my attention.
20211129_075440.jpg

I really like the dark brown and copper on that old sprint frame. I have another I am going to be redoing.with some bright finished rivets.
20211129_075452.jpg

Need to take a trip to the Tandy Leather store.

20211129_075518.jpg

The saddle I am rebuilding is actually in better shape than when I started work on the brown one. Will take it apart and soak the rust off of it later today.

Last edited:
At lunch time today, I spent 5 minutes to take the old seat apart.

Pointed diamond cut grinder bit and a brush cup for scale.
20211129_121014.jpg

20211129_121020.jpg

20211129_121031.jpg

Put the leather in a bag with a half cup of olive oil
20211129_125557.jpg
20211129_125832.jpg

And put the metal parts in some vinegar in an old stinky Tupperware I use for parts.
20211129_131834.jpg

Covered the rails.to keep them wet.

Will soak till tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mmmm oil and vinegar, with a sprinkle of rust, for the seasoning: rat salad dressing!
Mmmm vinegar, rust and oil dressing.
20211130_060512.jpg

Want a diet coke with that?
20211130_060832.jpg

When I looked at it this morning some rust had flaked off, but the base hadn't made much progress. Hands in the vinegar/water smelled like metal, so it was close to neutral.

Cola adds phosphoric and citric acids. Mid day it should be clean.

Mmmm vinegar, rust and oil dressing.
View attachment 179730

Want a diet coke with that?
View attachment 179729

When I looked at it this morning some rust had flaked off, but the base hadn't made much progress. Hands in the vinegar/water smelled like metal, so it was close to neutral.

Cola adds phosphoric and citric acids. Mid day it should be clean.
Now you're just making me hungry

Parts lying on the beach, in the sun...
Parts by the pool I wish they were by the beach. Living in the desert, when you buy an older house like we did 15+ years ago you can pick one with a pool.

Very true, but when you live far from the ocean and you are a cheapskate, then cardboard can become your beach...
There are rocky beaches at lake mead, but if I want a real beach, it's a drive. Its a 5-6 hour drive to the beach on the other side of LA from here. Sand dunes a couple hours north, if I want to go there.

Made it to the leather store. They were out of scraps, which is what I usually pick up.
20211201_105700.jpg

I ended up getting a whole side. It says it's water buffalo. There will be quite a few seats and other things made from this over the next few years. May need to sell one or two seats which will pay for the discounted cost that I got it for.
20211201_105713.jpg

There is se cool grain on the side.
20211201_105706.jpg

Thinking may use part of this section for this build. Will have to plan it out before using the shears on it.

I didn't save any patterns from the last one of these that I did. So I've been working on flattening the original leather. After the olive oil, I soaked it in hot soapy dish water with some dawn.
20211201_161713.jpg

Flattened a little more this morning and fully flat this afternoon.
20211201_193822.jpg

Greasy cutout used to make a clean one and the pattern for the leather strip for under the saddle. Something to work with tomorrow.

Parts by the pool I wish they were by the beach. Living in the desert, when you buy an older house like we did 15+ years ago you can pick one with a pool.

There are rocky beaches at lake mead, but if I want a real beach, it's a drive. Its a 5-6 hour drive to the beach on the other side of LA from here. Sand dunes a couple hours north, if I want to go there.
We are about the same driving distance from the Baltic sea, which is about half way across Poland. a bit of a difference to the 20 minute bike ride away that I grew up with. We have some lakes nearby, which are nice, but they lack that ocean excitement, the ships on the horizon, and those massive waves when the ro-ro ferries enter or leave harbour.

I don't think anyone in our village has a pool - but plenty of barns.

We are about the same driving distance from the Baltic sea, which is about half way across Poland. a bit of a difference to the 20 minute bike ride away that I grew up with. We have some lakes nearby, which are nice, but they lack that ocean excitement, the ships on the horizon, and those massive waves when the ro-ro ferries enter or leave harbour.

I don't think anyone in our village has a pool - but plenty of barns.
The little town I grew up in also had no swimming pools. We had a reservoir used for irrigation that was at most 40 ft deep, that we used for recreation. In the summer (boating and swimming) and winter (ice skating and cross country skiing). Fishing year round for trout and bass.

I cut the under leather out of some thin 3-4 Oz thickness veg tanned hide. Used a heat disappearing pen so I can erase the marks if I wish. Punched at the same diameter the rivets are at.
20211202_081054.jpg

‐---------------
Now for a decision point...

Three different areas I am considering. All have different thicknesses. This hide is quite soft. Aged tanning methods will make it a comfy seat for sure.

First option. Rump skirt, is the thickest, but deeply stressed and textured. Almost 14oz ( 7/16 )thickness.
20211202_080827.jpg

Next is the rump closer to the back. Fine textured, and about 9oz (9/64) thickness
20211202_080834.jpg

And lastly is the neck/front skirt. Also deep textured and distressed, about 12 Oz (3/16) in thickness
20211202_080936.jpg

I really like all three, and can picture a cool saddle made from each in my mind. Will be hard to decide.

I cut the under leather out of some thin 3-4 Oz thickness veg tanned hide. Used a heat disappearing pen so I can erase the marks if I wish. Punched at the same diameter the rivets are at.
View attachment 179906
‐---------------
Now for a decision point...

Three different areas I am considering. All have different thicknesses. This hide is quite soft. Aged tanning methods will make it a comfy seat for sure.

First option. Rump skirt, is the thickest, but deeply stressed and textured. Almost 14oz ( 7/16 )thickness.
View attachment 179907
Next is the rump closer to the back. Fine textured, and about 9oz (9/64) thickness
View attachment 179908
And lastly is the neck/front skirt. Also deep textured and distressed, about 12 Oz (3/16) in thickness
View attachment 179909

I really like all three, and can picture a cool saddle made from each in my mind. Will be hard to decide.
Love the "topography" on that rump skirt

Latest posts

Back