Off-Roadster (ORBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank mesh was all cut at different gradients. So when overlapped colors underneath come thru. Frame color in the back. Chrome and frame in the middle with Blue over chrome up front.
20211121_144250.jpg
I didn't put darts on the frame, I figured the blue pattern in the tank should be enuff

Well that was a very interesting read, and helped restore my faith that my pile of bits can be a bike someday too ;)

MC, how does the fork perform? I know you haven't had it in real dirt yet, but do you like the pre-load and handling feel so far?

Bike looks tight! That half-link flat sided chain adds a 'burly but classy' look. I think it's similar to the one @kingfish254 used on his Hexy build this past summer.

Off RaT build oN~!

Well that was a very interesting read, and helped restore my faith that my pile of bits can be a bike someday too ;)
Glad to help. I usually keep plugging away until it's bike shaped and continue to work out bugs until it stays together :)

MC, how does the fork perform? I know you haven't had it in real dirt yet, but do you like the pre-load and handling feel so far?

Bike looks tight! That half-link flat sided chain adds a 'burly but classy' look. I think it's similar to the one @kingfish254 used on his Hexy build this past summer.

Off RaT build oN~!
I was nervous taking that fork off the first couple curves. When it came apart on the mountain after I droped off a bump at some speed,, I went over the handlebars and rolled off thru the pine needles.

I did crank the pressure in just a bit more while riding. Felt no road or sidewalk bumps in the hands. Can't wait to get it on a rocky trail, to see how it is there.

It doesn't have that 70mm+ play of the newer mtb forks, but will be a far sight more comfortable that a 4130 solid fork. And just a bit lighter with that 6061 aluminum outer.

I haven't weighed it yet but the bike feels light. My guess is 30lbs. We will see how close I at some point.

I am learning more about half links, and details that I didn't know before. Never had them in the early 80s on our BMX, they came later.

I looked at @kingfish254 Hextreme a lot. Quite the bike. It received one of my votes in early sept. Had to check the detail again. Page 18, He used a KMC KK710 capped half link. Which also has that flat edge, but also has the outer caged in for even berrer rips.

The Blue YBN chain is a mix between the two. Flat, but not capped.

The KMC half link on hard eight was different, not flat.
20211122_055534.jpg
20211122_055619.jpg

The stretched frame bikes won't be rippin it up in the BMX/Skate park anyway :)
20211122_060639.jpg

Today the plans are around the tank, and finding the tensioners somewhere in the parts bags around the house/garage/shed. Bike stuff everywhere these days.

Very cool man. Halflinks are cool. Ever since I discovered the KK710 Kool Knight armored half link chain, it's my chain of choice. i just love how cool it looks.

Idea #1.

Clearances aren't that far off. Ream it.

When I rebuilt the 273 in the Dart, the lifter bores weren't polished by the machine shop, and when I called them, they said I could do it easily with a drum brake cylinder honer. Or I could bring it back to them and they would do a similar procedure.

I went thru 2 of them because the stones break. This one, only the inside stone broke on one.
View attachment 178178
So the thought is to use one of the broken bore stones to take 0.03" off. Limited the expansion with the old cone.
View attachment 178179
View attachment 178180
Just took the paint after about 15 minutes with no noticeable reaming.
View attachment 178181
Step 2. Starting now. Add emery cloth instead of using the stones. Repeat until fit. Eta, unknown...

Brilliant idea. Great how-to video too

Killer build man!!!! Love teh parts and color choices. Looking forward to that tank work too.

Very cool man. Halflinks are cool. Ever since I discovered the KK710 Kool Knight armored half link chain, it's my chain of choice. i just love how cool it looks.
It is a very cool Chain. My next stretch build will probably have close to two of them on it. 😎 👍
Brilliant idea. Great how-to video too
I will definitely use this idea again. The ease of paint and scale remover, saves a lot of wear and tear on the hands trying to sand it out manually.
Killer build man!!!! Love teh parts and color choices. Looking forward to that tank work too.
I am glad you love it. Thank You for the kind compliments.

As always, I build what makes my heart pump and excitement, just by looking at it and thinking about riding it. I am always glad when others see it the same.

Paint worked out well on the mesh tank. Added a little sun ray pattern to the middle one.
20211122_151346.jpg

Layered together, dark can be in front or blue can be.
20211122_151454.jpg
20211122_151519.jpg

Cut some sheet metal I peeled off a water heater for the straps, I could only find two from the previous use of the tank, irregular cut, used it for sizeup the new ones.
20211122_151257.jpg

Family arrived for Thanksgiving last night and didn't get the straps finished. This morning I taped them together for easier drilling and grinding.
20211123_064040.jpg

After everyone is up will spend 20 min or so and shape theme. Afterwards will spray them with oven cleaner to remove the paint,rust and adhesive.

When I was trying to mount my cables on my last build off I messed around for ages making straps - and then we had the house rewired and I saw that they had rolls of aluminium strip to mount the electrical piping to the walls. Easy to cut, drill and paint, it made the best brackets.

When I was trying to mount my cables on my last build off I messed around for ages making straps - and then we had the house rewired and I saw that they had rolls of aluminium strip to mount the electrical piping to the walls. Easy to cut, drill and paint, it made the best brackets.
Aluminum strap does a great job. Very pliable and less abrasive against new paint than steel sheet metal for sure.

For heavy mount brackets, like an old Higgins tank girls edition ( one of my past builds), I've been known to use conduit straps or fixture hangers for a more solid mount to the frame.

These ones, were easy to form, being simple sheet metal. A pair of box nose pliers and an old seat post topper to form it.
20211124_065208.jpg

Will paint these up today. Coooler today, high will be around 60(15C). After running a load to the dump today I may make it to the hardware store for mounting nuts n bolts.

I jope everyone here in the states has a great Thanksgiving!

Didn't make it to the hardware store, yesterday. It sounds like a Friday morning trip.

Found some tensioners that fit.
20211124_161248.jpg

Creamer for my coffee on this holiday morning. To help me prepare for cooking the bird in a couple hours.
20211124_065421.jpg

Happy Thankgiving!!

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving my off-road loving friend! Hope you didn't over eat...

View attachment 179284
Thanks @OddJob , I did overeat a.bit yesterday. Cooked all morning, ate about 4. Added Pie on top while still stuffed. Kids, Dad and our best friends had a great day. 👍 Even the pups had a good time.

Felt like the grandpup sleeping sitting up by late evening...
Resized_IMG_1361.jpeg

Dang! That thing looks like a beast! Those tires on those rims. And the Blue on Black....

From the first time that I ever heard that song in the 90s, it has been an ear worm for me.

It was actually rolling thru my head as I started the first post. The FFDP version had been playing in the other room earlier and it stuck with me. It helped with the paint selection for sure.

By dialing in. I had a rub on the right chain stay and the left seat stay. The goal is to get the tire centered with the tensioners on all 4 stays.

I remember on the old rollfast frame, I mentioned that I was having a hard time keeping the tires from rubbing on one stay or another to an older bike mechanic at one of the LBS. (20+ years Older than me).

He told me on the old Schneider and CWC frames, one of the tools he always used to center them was a rubber mallet.
20211128_085015.jpg

He showed me,, One square, good whack on the top of a dropout, and Two on the bottom of the other one would help align the seat stays center.
20211128_084422.jpg

I used some painters tape as a chip buffer today.. Worked on that frame then. Worked on this frame today.

Centered for.the ride today.

Latest posts

Back