Old Bike Haul/Hoping for some Information

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little one I really think is a Huffman (Huffy). The fork crown, chain wheel and dropouts look a lot like this 1949 Huffman bike.

1637833434500.png

On the blue DX, it has a Schwinn crankset and chain guard. They put a 2 digit date on some of the cranks back then. That might be the answer to that puzzle. Here's an example of a 1937 crank:
1637833660137.png

I did some more research on the serial number on that Schwinn. I found this Schwinn on a page about their numbers but it didn't give the year of that bike. Small world. My lists say 1952 had 6 numbers, maybe they went to 5 at the end of the year. So 1952 is now my guess.

1637833633750.png

The little one I really think is a Huffman (Huffy). The fork crown, chain wheel and dropouts look a lot like this 1949 Huffman bike.

View attachment 179192

On the blue DX, it has a Schwinn crankset and chain guard. They put a 2 digit date on some of the cranks back then. That might be the answer to that puzzle. Here's an example of a 1937 crank:
View attachment 179194

I did some more research on the serial number on that Schwinn. I found this Schwinn on a page about their numbers but it didn't give the year of that bike. Small world. My lists say 1952 had 6 numbers, maybe they went to 5 at the end of the year. So 1952 is now my guess.

View attachment 179193
I agree on the little guy. It all matches up too closely to be anything else I think. I just want to find a number to confirm but it’s still eluding me.

Here are the pictures of both sides of the crankset. No obvious date or clues that I can see but hopefully more educated eyes will be able to. The inside of the BB is red so I’m thinking the frame was definitely repainted at some point.

There’s an alternative theory going over on the cabe that the Schwinn Flyer is a mis-stamped early post war bike. I’ll just paste the most recent post because it’s too much to summarize.

Quote:
“I'm still thinking that Schwinn is an early post war piece. I've been researching the evolution of Schwinn's electro-forging of their frames and that brings me out of the war time pieces and into the period when Schwinn started building retail balloon frames during 1945. Your serial number series H12345 was used in 1941. It's said and is fact that the prewar numbers were also used in 1946 along with the A and B series. The fact that nobody has seemed to take into account is that Schwinn was producing bikes for retail sales in 1945. These first post war models built in 1945 and some even say 44, were the first to have the chain stays EF'd to the BB shell and that process was a learning period for Schwinn. I've also noted there are two kickstand tube angles on these early post war pieces. Yours has the earliest version, but since that is a 24" frame that may be irrelevant. I doubt the crank has a casting date on it, but it's worth a shot taking a look and see if there is.”

Attachments

• 393CEEB3-0DB0-4CCA-8AE3-D11EF829E6B1.jpeg
    393CEEB3-0DB0-4CCA-8AE3-D11EF829E6B1.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 47
  • E58F17BD-0A55-4BE4-977B-D2A24B0B6BB1.jpeg
    E58F17BD-0A55-4BE4-977B-D2A24B0B6BB1.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 41
I agree on the little guy. It all matches up too closely to be anything else I think. I just want to find a number to confirm but it’s still eluding me.

Here are the pictures of both sides of the crankset. No obvious date or clues that I can see but hopefully more educated eyes will be able to. The inside of the BB is red so I’m thinking the frame was definitely repainted at some point.

There’s an alternative theory going over on the cabe that the Schwinn Flyer is a mis-stamped early post war bike. I’ll just paste the most recent post because it’s too much to summarize.

Quote:
“I'm still thinking that Schwinn is an early post war piece. I've been researching the evolution of Schwinn's electro-forging of their frames and that brings me out of the war time pieces and into the period when Schwinn started building retail balloon frames during 1945. Your serial number series H12345 was used in 1941. It's said and is fact that the prewar numbers were also used in 1946 along with the A and B series. The fact that nobody has seemed to take into account is that Schwinn was producing bikes for retail sales in 1945. These first post war models built in 1945 and some even say 44, were the first to have the chain stays EF'd to the BB shell and that process was a learning period for Schwinn. I've also noted there are two kickstand tube angles on these early post war pieces. Yours has the earliest version, but since that is a 24" frame that may be irrelevant. I doubt the crank has a casting date on it, but it's worth a shot taking a look and see if there is.”
He also referenced this thread:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-find-what-year-and-model.139860/#post-933518

Maybe Huffman used the adjustment screws with non-skip tooth. This 1949 20" Huffman is said to be original.

View attachment 179231
This is one mystery I can solve for this bike at least. It’s not a skip tooth unless I’m misunderstanding what a skip tooth is.

Attachments

• 0207EC4A-ECC9-4ABE-9211-5473E774EABB.jpeg
    0207EC4A-ECC9-4ABE-9211-5473E774EABB.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 41
I’m thinking the rear fender on the Schwinn is not Schwinn. Fender brace attaches to axle. Should attach to ear.

I’m thinking the rear fender on the Schwinn is not Schwinn. Fender brace attaches to axle. Should attach to ear.
Oh yeah you’re right. I have another old Schwinn with non-original fenders that attach to the axle so I forgot that it isn’t standard. I’m thinking somebody just kind of mashed together a Western Flyer and a Schwinn at some point. That serial number just adds to the mystery

Latest posts

Back