Old world Aiglon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I've been working on. I started with a $4.00 goodwill girls freespirit bike, which gave me the handlebars, fenders, wheels, and seat. I decided to make something that would look at home 80 years ago in Europe, which is where the ebay headbadge came in. I couldn't start until I had a men's frame, so I found a piece of junk varsity roadbike frame that was all bent up. I used my imagination to design what the bike should look like, adding ebay junk and fabricating whatever popped into my head along the way. I would like white or cream tires but they're too expensive for rubber, maybe I'll settle for whitewalls.

Here's how it sits now, I plan on having a tube welded to the frame and maybe a tank plate. Black paint of course.
bk.jpg

When its done, it should look something like this...
bk32.jpg

...or maybe this!
bk6.jpg

Some of my inspiration
IMG_0134.jpg

Homemade aluminum truss rods and 2" handlebar extensions, covered by hexagonal grips
IMG_0136.jpg

Headlight made from an old tractor light with a custom hexagonal brass visor for looks. It will be powered by an LED star, with the brass tube on the frame for the battery holder
IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Tail light made from a semi-truck marker light, aerosol lid, vacuum attachment, and more brass for fun. It was powered by an old 9 LED flashlight. I got the rear dropstand for my b-day, the rusty schwinn stand needs too come out.
IMG_0131.jpg

Spiderweb chainring, wald guard, and waffle pedals, which had the reflectors covered with brass
IMG_0132.jpg

Bendix single speed hub, my first time building a wheel, no thanks to my lbs
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

I really like what you have going, what did you use for the truss rods? and how did you bend the metal?

I plan on putting a bar on my schwinn diamond frame also. So I found one of these shower rods at a yard sale and plan to cut it up and have it welded to the frame. Its already bent and the right size pipe already

bedbathstore_2123_4597625691.jpg

I used 5/16" aluminum rods from the hardware store, made by KS engineering I believe. The ends were battery terminal connectors. I didn't put too much of a bend on the rods because I wanted a lower profile. I just used brute force to bend the rods (holding them side by side to make the bends even) over an old round water jug.

Latest posts

Back