Omnium Cycle Works - 1996?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this bike for a few years now. I used to volunteer with Project Recycle(now Hopecycle.org) in Colorado and this bike was headed to the scrap yard. I thought it was a cheap chinese cruiser so I saved this bike primarily for the front aluminum fork. I also saw it had a Nexus 7 speed, it had surface rust on all the chrome(but not the frame), dry rotted tires, just overall dirty, some cheap plastic pedals and plastic chain guard and a dry rotted seat. As I was cleaning it, I realized the 7 speed with coaster brake was functioning properly and the whole frame is aluminum, Wow!
So it was a keeper and since then I've changed the handlebars, pedals, tires, seat, and took off the plastic chain guard, and replaced the sealed bottom bracket.
There is not a head badge, but there is a sticker on the lower seat tube that says Omnium Cycle Works. I googled it and found out the company was around in 1996 with a home base in California. I have yet to see or hear of another one of these bikes. Does anyone know any more about these bikes?

Attachments

• 20220111_163006.jpg
    20220111_163006.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220107_123607.jpg
    20220107_123607.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 69
So I've had this bike for a few years now. I used to volunteer with Project Recycle(now Hopecycle.org) in Colorado and this bike was headed to the scrap yard. I thought it was a cheap chinese cruiser so I saved this bike primarily for the front aluminum fork. I also saw it had a Nexus 7 speed, it had surface rust on all the chrome(but not the frame), dry rotted tires, just overall dirty, some cheap plastic pedals and plastic chain guard and a dry rotted seat. As I was cleaning it, I realized the 7 speed with coaster brake was functioning properly and the whole frame is aluminum, Wow!
So it was a keeper and since then I've changed the handlebars, pedals, tires, seat, and took off the plastic chain guard, and replaced the sealed bottom bracket.
There is not a head badge, but there is a sticker on the lower seat tube that says Omnium Cycle Works. I googled it and found out the company was around in 1996 with a home base in California. I have yet to see or hear of another one of these bikes. Does anyone know any more about these bikes?
I have a Mountain Bike from Omnium Cycle Works since 1998 or so. I have not been able to find much information on this company. I have been using is as an exercise bike for the last 3 years or so. It is a bike that simply keeps running and the suspension folks are still awesome. I brought it into a bike shop here in Florida and their immediate reaction was to say it was an old Rock Hopper, but of course it is not. Seems like a bit of a mystery company. When I looked it up on Google Maps, the building is there, but there is no indication that the business is there any longer.

I have a Mountain Bike from Omnium Cycle Works since 1998 or so. I have not been able to find much information on this company. I have been using is as an exercise bike for the last 3 years or so. It is a bike that simply keeps running and the suspension folks are still awesome. I brought it into a bike shop here in Florida and their immediate reaction was to say it was an old Rock Hopper, but of course it is not. Seems like a bit of a mystery company. When I looked it up on Google Maps, the building is there, but there is no indication that the business is there any longer.
Seems I've found the same info, I did try to trace the owners that are listed, but haven't had much luck there. Can you share a photo of the mountain bike?

Maybe @Dizzle Problems has an answer, being that they were in Santa Maria, CA until 2019.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_ca/199615010011
They also appear to have contracted for fabrication on a few big name brands.
I recently bought a mystery bike from a neighbor here in southern Oregon. It appears to be an Omnium cycle works frame. I have had no luck finding any information about it until your forum post. It's a pretty decent road bike with a midgrade component build. It has virtually no branding except for a tomato logo with superimposed 'usa' on the seat tube and a 'factory' logo on the chain stays. The manufacturer label is on the rear of the seat tube just above the bottom bracket. I'm not sure how to upload photos to this forum;
Not sure if this helps much, just nice to know we're not alone!

I recently bought a mystery bike from a neighbor here in southern Oregon. It appears to be an Omnium cycle works frame. I have had no luck finding any information about it until your forum post. It's a pretty decent road bike with a midgrade component build. It has virtually no branding except for a tomato logo with superimposed 'usa' on the seat tube and a 'factory' logo on the chain stays. The manufacturer label is on the rear of the seat tube just above the bottom bracket. I'm not sure how to upload photos to this forum;
Not sure if this helps much, just nice to know we're not alone!
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/how-to-post-pictures-for-dummies.115812/

This Schwinn tomato?
Schw229__23970.jpg

That's interesting. I've heard of Schwinn Homegrown bikes with omnium stickers, you might have one of those. Pictures would definitely help. Is there any sparkle to the paint? Like, lots of sparkle?

I worked at Omnium Cycle Works from 1996 until 2002.

We did work for a variety of companies, and at peak production we did 40,000 bikes a year.

Happy to answer any inquiries.

Those used frames and forks made in Taiwan, which were a step up in quality over China at the time. Many of the smaller items, think stem, bars, seatpost, etc came from JD who is also know as TranzX. http://www.tranzx.com/

I can't recall specifically who sold or distributed that batch, there were maybe a couple hundred or less of those cruisers made. Note the cantilever brakes and white tires; this project was a way for older inventory to become monetized and out the door while not needing to be current-year new product for any customer of ours.

We had no relationship with Specialized other than folks knowing Mike through years in the industry... I'm curious to see the bike you have and hopefully I can give you more specific info on it..

Latest posts

Back