Open Road Tricycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, you all have a great forum here with lots of very cool toys, Im glad to have found the site.

Anyways Im a total amateur when it comes to bikes, i have my own tastes and styles, but I guess everybody does right...

I have 5 bikes and 3 trikes right now: a newr Electra 5sp cruiser, a 63 columbia boys tankbike, a 63 schwinn womens cruiser, a motorized mtn bike, and one of those reproduction 48 RoadMaster Luxery Liners, a old schwinn town and country trike, and 2 Montgomery Wards Open Road trikes.

My questions pertain to the Open Road Trikes, sold by Montgomery Wards, I have a 78 and a 79.
I love these trikes, because, as anybody familiar with them knows, they are actually manufactured as a tricycle, not a bike with a bolt-on rear end, they have a differential and both wheels are capable of pedaling.

I took my first one apart, had every little piece polished and powdercoated, spent lots of time and money on it... only to find out that the aluminum hubs had electrolicised onto the the steel axles.
I tried EVERYTHING known to science to get them off, but in the end had to cut the hubs and peel/chip/grind them off, and trying to find a way to get another wheel to attaxh back on has been a nightmare because, as anybody familiar knows, its just open hub with no bearing that slides over the end of a steel rod axle and gets a pin or bolt thru the assembly to hold it on.

Anyways, the thing has been sitting in boxes because of that situation, until I was lucky enough to find another complet Open Road Trike recently.

Anyways, I dont wanna ruin this too, but I need those rear wheels to come off so I have have a rim threaded on that can take the wide whitewall tires(it currently has super-skinny old-school rims on it).

Is there anybody near Sacramento Ca that has the ability to relace the new hoops on the trike by just turning it upside down and doing it with the wheels still attached?
There are no fenders or frame or anything in the way, there is full access to the entire thing.

It is a 24 inch 28 spoke wheel, and tho Id like to put a 26inch wheel on the rears, they dont make that configuration, and being that even on the "new trike" the same problem has occurred the aluminum hub welded itself to the steel axle over the last 35 years... and Im only able to finf a 28spoke wheel in a 24inch that fits the fat tires.

If I can get this problem solved Ill have a pretty cool trike, stretched and lowered and a spare part for everything...

Thankyou for ANY help or ideas, maybe some pics of this would help??
This is a pretty specific problem to this specific trike I would say...

His info is in the "rat friendly bike shop" section in the f/s area, but here it is:
Vintage Bicycle Supply
4370 24th st. unit d
Sacramento,Ca 95822
(916) 736-3034
He's a great guy to deal with!

Latest posts

Back