"Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Update 9-12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All right, time for my first chopper build! Before I start tearing into the thing, you guys all know what an OCC Stingray looks like. To me, it seems more "custom chopper" than "old-school chopper" of which I'd prefer the old-school, naturally. I'm not a fan of the blinged-out rainbow colored "kustoms" so this bike will get the proper Rat Rod treatment!!

First off, pics of the bike as I found it in the trash:
Stingray.jpg

From what I understand, this is an earlier model because of the footrests on the fork. Rechroming them is probably not an option, and even if it were, I can get a new one for $50.
stingray-001.jpg

Severe frame rust. Notice the seatpost is as far down as I can put it, and the "minimum height" line is still out of the seat tube. This worries me the most, I'm pretty sure I can fix anything else on it.
stingray-002.jpg

Everything that is steel is rusted, except for the rear fender. Crank is bent, pedals are chewed up, seat's torn, but it's all there. And man, after riding my aluminum Mt. bike, this thing is HEAVY! :lol: I'll get over it. I won't know how bad the damage is until I actually tear it down completely, but I'm hoping it's structually sound, and the damage is mostly cosmetic.

So now comes the part where I figure out what to do with the thing. Essentially, I want it to be ridable and cool. Thanks to you guys, I've got some really great ideas for it. I've got two roads I can go down:
1. Clean it up, repaint it, make it rideable, and call it good.
2. Do something totally wicked with it, i.e. convert it to a multi-gear with all the trimmings, drum brakes front and back, custom frame insert, light on the front, apehangers, maybe some trick pieces here and there. Basically, turn it into a work of art.

Just for fun, a closeup of the logo sticker on the badly rusted handlebars.
stingray-004.jpg

Now for those of you with significant others, lemme tell you the choice isn't as easy as you'd think!! I could easily make it ridable for about $30 and rock it up and down the street. But I've got big plans for this bike, I want to do more with it. There's no "freakbike" crew anywhere around here, and I want to do it up nice enough to bring to car shows, and use it as a pit bike at the drag strip/autocross track. And I can't tell you how much it would rock to do a local bike tour with it! It just fits my attitude. All the roadies and weight weenies would snicker, but deep down inside, they'd wish they had the guts to ride it.

The seat's bumper rail. Chrome is flaking off in huge sheets.
stingray-003.jpg

So, practically speaking, I'll have to do this in 2 stages: cosmetic, and then spring for the drivetrain upgrades further on down the road, when I have the money. Specifically, I want to convert the rear to a multi-speed hub. I could use the Sturmey wide 3-speed that the later OCC bikes came with... the only places I've found them want exorbitant amounts of money for just a 3-speed hub. For less money, I can get a Sturmey 8-speed with a built-in drum brake, which would let me paint the rims red and use whitewalls. "Oh wait," you say, "That hub isn't wide enough to use on the 4 inch rim!" You'd be correct. That, and the fact that nobody makes a whitewall 20x4" tire means I'd have to go to a 20x3" for the whitewalls and the geared hub, which is still fine with me. I can build wheels, so that's not a problem. As long as the Sturmey 8-speed drum hub clears the 3" tire, I'm good. I'd have to put a drum hub up front too, just for kicks, and to make the younger roadie guys ask what it is. LOL

Here's my inspirations:
4182_1146903428684_1110486501_30423863_844664_n.jpg

And also Randfink's chopper (I really like this!! Though I wouldn't make the fork quite as long)
100_3261.jpg

and Felt's "El Guapo" bike:
8981.png

So what do you guys think? Would it be worth it to drop a few hundred bucks making this the coolest OCC chopper ever? Or should I just rock it 1-speed?

Re: OCC Stingray gets a second lease on life

deorman said:
I would tell you to through it back in trash, but you live too far away! :lol:

LOL Yeah, I don't think so... this thing's getting the proper treatment. Not that you couldn't do it, but I've never built a chopper before.

my vote is for the "work of art" route! pm me i will see what i have from my occ that i'm not going to re-use. keep on choppin'

if having a rear derailleur doesn't bother you (i know some people like the look of a simple chainline), a few people have removed the freewheel and stuck a 5-7 speed cluster on in it's place. just need a longer axel to do it. if you have a decent junk bike pile to get parts the cost is next to nothing.

some guy on schwinn forums is selling the longer axels, or just weld two together.

I've got a 7-speed (and a 5-speed) freewheel laying around, but I was trying to avoid using derailers. I've never used a bike with drum brakes, and have only ridden old English 3-speeds. It's not an issue of making it work... I can do that pretty easily. I want it to be as retro as possible, and still functional. Granted, that would mean the wheels and drivetrain would run me around $200 total, but considering everything else on the bike is pretty much free or cheap, I may do it if I get the money. I'll be scrounging Fleabay and CL to see if any of those parts show up. Still, even if I spend the money on the hubs, they won't go bad... if I decide to build another, the hubs stay with me. I just love the idea of using a gearhub and drum brakes. You don't see those kind of bikes anywhere around here. It would definitely be unique.

For now, I'll concentrate on cleaning it up, and use the stock wheels. I still don't know about the back end... the rear stays are hugely wide, they swallow up even the 4" tire with room to spare. I'm wondering how funny it would look with a 3" rear in it. You could almost put two 3" tires side by side in there! So if/when I decide to go to a 3" rear wheel, I will probably try my hand at narrowing the rear end to make everything sit right. I'm thinking about rotating the rear fender forward too, and I'll say it now: I hate the stock fender mount. That has to go. :wink:

I started disassembly today, and whooo, is it messy. I found an old alloy 4-arm Mtb. crank, I can pick up a single chainring for it for cheap. I'll put up some pics later this week.

And Fireproof: I have never welded, but my dad was a professional welder for about 35 years. 8) We're looking for a decently priced MIG welder, and rest assured, it will get put to good use. Not sure if I'm going to be able to use it on this build or not, but heck... if we have one, I might give it a whack.

another OCC build ,right on ! are you going to keep the stock frame, or build a new one from scratch and use some of the parts off the bike,as for good mig machine i bought my lincoln powermig 255 and 135t from (weldingmart.com) check them out. keep it FunkyStickman.

that was about a year ago. now it has a few more goodies. like a steel six pack holder in the open space of the center frame.

thesuicideride said:
that was about a year ago. now it has a few more goodies. like a steel six pack holder in the open space of the center frame.

No brakes? You're a brave soul! ;) I could probably get away with that, there's no hills where I live!

we need to start a "show-off your OCC" thread. i'd love to see what some other dudes are doin' with theres! oh and the six-pack holder, haha! thats awesome!

metalman72 said:
another OCC build ,right on ! are you going to keep the stock frame, or build a new one from scratch and use some of the parts off the bike,as for good mig machine i bought my lincoln powermig 255 and 135t from (weldingmart.com) check them out. keep it FunkyStickman.

Gonna keep the stock frame, but I'll modify it. Probably remove all the chainguard and fender mounts (cause they're ugly) and smooth everything out. Then add some "character" to make it just right.

I completely diassembled the bike tonight, but didn't take pics cause the wife was giving me the dirty eye to come inside and shower. The only thing I couldn't get off the frame was the headset cups... those things are rusted in tight! I dented up the top tube trying to get them out, but I managed to fix it by sticking an allen wrench through the cable hole and banging the dent out. Mostly. After I paint it, you won't be able to tell. :oops:

All the bearings look fantastic, except the rear wheel. Not gonna worry about it just yet, I'm going to get the bike rolling and comfortable before I drop money into a geared rear hub. No use spending money on it if it's not comfortable for long rides! But man, it's tempting.

I know in a do-it-yourself board like this, OCC bikes are not the ideal... but as you guys have shown (and I hope to also) they can be made into respectable "rat" bikes. I see the same thing with custom computers... its' much more fun and challenging to build one from a plain box, it gives you a clean canvas. But you can still further modify a pre-mod case and make it more suitable for your use.

i also suggest changin the seat to a springer if your lookin for comfort and it looks better.

FunkyStickman said:
. . . about the back end... the rear stays are hugely wide, they swallow up even the 4" tire with room to spare. I'm wondering how funny it would look with a 3" rear in it. You could almost put two 3" tires side by side in there!

Here's something to think about. RatRodBikes forum member, olschbp, told me that a MT-90x16 tire will fit on these rims. That is a tire from a Harley Davidson! Note that bicycle tires are measured differently than motorcycle tires . . . something like the motorcycles use wheel diameter and bikes go by outside tire diameter. I want to find someone with a Harley that has whitewalls and follow them around until they need new tires. Even a bald Harley tire would last a long time on my Schwinn! :wink:

FunkyStickman said:
I really like the Hairpin saddles.. I'll have to try one out and see how it feels.
Keep in mind that the OCC bike uses a Huge seat post. If you care to see, I have pics that show how I modified the OCC seat post. I shortened the “sissy bar” and redrilled the four seat mounting holes. The seat now is almost an inch and a half farther back for more leg room. :wink:

thesuicideride said:
heres mine. wish i coulda chopped it up and built a burrito with some of the parts but..no welder. so i just gave it a face lift. turns alotta heads in the critical mass ride. good luck with the build!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11470&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=the+filthy+rat
I have liked "The Filthy Rat" since the first time I saw it! 8)

Fireproof said:
Here's something to think about. RatRodBikes forum member, olschbp, told me that a MT-90x16 tire will fit on these rims. That is a tire from a Harley Davidson! Note that bicycle tires are measured differently than motorcycle tires . . . something like the motorcycles use wheel diameter and bikes go by outside tire diameter. I want to find someone with a Harley that has whitewalls and follow them around until they need new tires. Even a bald Harley tire would last a long time on my Schwinn! :wink:

I figured it was based on a motorcycle tire, as I tracked down the company that makes it (Innova) and everything on their site is for motorbikes and ATV's. I couldn't quite figure out what size it actually was, so thanks for that info! Oh, they also make tires in crazy colors... check it out! They also make a 16x3" tire, that would look killer. They're under the "electric bike" section. http://www.innovatires.com

Fireproof said:
Keep in mind that the OCC bike uses a Huge seat post. If you care to see, I have pics that show how I modified the OCC seat post. I shortened the “sissy bar” and redrilled the four seat mounting holes. The seat now is almost an inch and a half farther back for more leg room. :wink:

I've found a few places that sell the 31.8mm post. I'd love to see what you've done with it to move it back. Since I haven't been able to drop the seat on mine yet, I haven't been able to see how it fits. But I'll definitely check out any ideas you have. I could go with a bannana seat, but I probably will want something with more padding.

Fireproof said:
I have liked "The Filthy Rat" since the first time I saw it! 8)
Agreed, great bike! Love the pinstriping on it.

found a whitewall MT90x16 tire...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Item ... 0000209276
Ouch! It's $100!!!

(EDIT)
Found a few others online, they're all about $90-$115. That's because they're all 4-ply, load and speed rated. I bet they're heavy, too. Still, you might be able to find one overstock, or second hand... if you could find one cheap enough, it would be interesting to ride it and see how different it would feel.

I've been researching comfy seats, and I ran across the recumbent world (no shock there!) The prevailing "best" recumbent seat is made by a company called "Rans" and recumbents are exclusively what they do.

They have a line of bikes called "Crank Forward" which I've never heard of before, so I looked into it, and lo and behold! It's a cruiser/chopper geometry!
Enlarge.jpg

Well, it turns out they developed a seat specifically for this bike, and made the frame geometry around it... so I immediately started looking for places that sell the seat, and I eventually found one. They sell the "pan" part separately from the cusion, which lets you get either a plastic or carbon pan, and several layers of cushion.
BPST0196-203.jpg

They also sell the regular recumbent seat pans for about $35, which would be well worth it for an extremely comfy ride!

Latest posts

Back