(ORBO) BACK40 by LTJ, design by OJ. (ROLLING! But withdrawing from the build-off.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. :nerd:
Second shift heading into the night shift, getting it done in the cooler air.
Hope you get this one done in time brother,
but if not you know it's worth getting it done right.
(as you always do) ;)

Carl.
Just hiding in bushes watching.....looking good!!
Thanks Guys! Build is now on hold for a while, I didn't manage to get it rolling before running out of time, hopefully I can get back to it in time. :thumbsup:

Luke.

Fingers crossed that you get the time to finish soon. This is one of my favorite builds to watch.

Building... riding...
Thanks MC! Glad you find it entertaining! :happy: Means I am doing something right!

Luke.

It's been two weeks since your last post. I'm a little concerned. You don't normally go this long without posting somewhere on the forum. I hope everything's alright!
Jim
Hey everyone, we are doing fine, just having some time off. Thanks for checking in on us!

Will be back on this build with about 2 or 3 days left in the build-off, it will have to be a sprint to the finish, it should be fine, I have a new tank of gas and a spare roll of wire ready to go if needed, and all the parts are sitting, waiting to go together, so provided my geometry works as intended, it should be cool! :thumbsup:

Luke.

As a couple of our brethren like to say on this forum...GTB! Good to hear from you Luke, looking forward to your sprint to the finish!

Bare metal bomber???
Perfect for a desert bike.

I hope you enjoyed your break.

Carl
I enjoyed it by the end! ;)

Shame the cool stickers wont be seen for the voting, but that is cool, I can have a second 'reveal' later on while you guys go crazy with the main build-off!

Luke.

BTW, I tried but I still couldn't catch you in "views" you're still 800 some ahead even with the time off. Hope I'll be "viewing" this bike in the finished thread.

Carl.

BTW, I tried but I still couldn't catch you in "views" you're still 800 some ahead even with the time off. Hope I'll be "viewing" this bike in the finished thread.

Carl.
:21: You got me on replies though!
Watch out, I'm coming for ya!

Luke.

A good day working today!

Started with the rear sliding drops, drilled the holes:

25560909963_ba480a7528_z.jpg

Tapped the 8mm threads:

26137610766_9e50318922_z.jpg

Slotted the axle hole:

26097207151_be70fa068d_z.jpg

Test fitted and then did the final sand and shape:

25560911723_4f0c949d3f_z.jpg

Then I moved on to the fork drops, basically just sat the wheel under the fork with different sizes of steel as a spacer until I got the middle bar level, then it was just a matter of trimming the legs to the correct length and tacking on the BMX dropouts:

26097210481_ca9104f10d_z.jpg

25558794344_68ab172680_z.jpg

Not much clearance between the brake disc and the fork leg!:

26137614256_391a3025ab_z.jpg

Then I moved on to the seat tube, marked it to the correct length:

25558796854_c7a20c4e16_z.jpg

Cut, drill and slot:

26137616376_4ef4341fa0_z.jpg

Found a clamp on an old alloy full suspension bike that was the right size, I will end up removing the quick release and just having a nice grade 8 bolt through the clamp, seat post is the same size as a Mongoose beast as it turns out, fitted in nicely with just a quick ream and file on the tube seam:

26071099052_c432ed4eb0_z.jpg

25890685870_f3f8ac3c9d_z.jpg

That was it for the day aside from getting the first ever rolling shots of BACK40!

26163574495_1c1f7c94f7_z.jpg

26071103002_e05ddcc85f_z.jpg

Front porch pose shot:

26097217941_6ae5e68ef4_z.jpg

I also then added the parts that will match the yellow spoke covers:

26097218691_1f4ba251b0_z.jpg

All up a pretty good day, but I think I will withdraw from the build-off.

There is one day left before final photos must be up and I have not done any planning on the frame gussets or calliper mounts. I could just make something up, but I know they will be so much better with a couple of days worth of planning invested in them first.

I had a sit on the bike today after all these months of planning, and it really is an awesome fit for me, it also feels very nimble and brutish at the same time.

It is an even better bike than I could have imagined, I don't want to rush the last little pieces...

Luke.

Good job !! looks like a sweet rider :rockout::113::praise:, sad to hear you won't make the dead line , but at the same time , better take time to make it right ... why not just call it a foot braker and enter it as is ?:giggle:

Latest posts

Back