(ORBO) HD Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently decided to transform my Heavy Duti grocery getter to something more klunkerish. It'll be a pretty simple build but I figured I might as well document it here.

Here's how I've pretty much had the bike set up since I bought the frame.
03-27-2015.jpg

Late last year bored with it I disassembled and stashed it away.

Last week I got it back out and assembled with a different wheel set, handlebars and sans the basket.
01-29-2016.jpg

While riding the bike as set up above I was reminded that the internal 3 speed rear hub has issues. Brake only works in first gear and I don't have a shifter for it any more anyway. Decided I would replace it with a single speed coaster.
12628434_1110232782350561_7477841976995819861_o.jpg

After a couple of attempts at different spoke lengths and cross patterns, I got it right.

Put it back on the bike to ride and test and it seems to be working fine but then I was reminded again of an issue with the front hub. It eats bearings. No wonder I wasn't using this wheel set.

That's where I'm at now.

Tires are sweet! Are these current? I'm wondering if they are still made now that Geax has been bought by Vittoria...

Hope I don't regret this.
P1050255.JPG

Removed the center and rear chain guard tabs. Left the front one just in case. I'm also leaving the kickstand for now. I just use it too much. I doubt I'll be doing any serious klunking that it'll be a problem. If it is ever a problem I'll just pull it from it's mount.
Stripping the frame down to clean and re-grease bb and headset.
P1050259.JPG

They still exist. Just called Vittoria Booze instead. A quick Google search netted a UK site selling the folding bead Geax version for 13 bucks each.

Needless to say, I have a set on the way

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My front wheel issue... Before putting the front wheel on the bike last week I checked the bearings and the cage was mangled and some bearings loose. Dejavu. I remembered replacing them last time I used this wheel set. Anyway I replaced them again and was still hearing a noise coming from the hub.
So now I disassembled the hub again and everything looks and feels ok. I don't know what the issue is. I decided to try running loose bearings. Hubs back together now and we'll see.

I think I'll use these bars I picked up at a swap last year. Didn't have plans for them when I bought them, just got them because of the cheap price.
P1050230.JPG

They still exist. Just called Vittoria Booze instead. A quick Google search netted a UK site selling the folding bead Geax version for 13 bucks each.

Needless to say, I have a set on the way

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Going there right now! There's another klunker build on the horizon sometime...:21:

I don't have a stem that fits the fork that will work with the bars I posted above.
Hoping to use this one.
P1050225.JPG

With some shims to make it work. Probably not the safest thing idk.
P1050222.JPG
Stem shims are commonly used, that's why they make them in all kinds of sizes. It is important to get the right ID and OD sizes so it fits properly in the head tube. If you have a caliper you can get this dialed in.

The stem and the 2 shims I had fit perfect. Yesterday I finished assembly, putting on a Brooks B72 and am calling it done. A simple, quick, uneventful build.

Rode it to the river which is about 5 miles away for a Celebratory picnic and then road the trails there. The gearing (46x22) seemed to be ok for both the road and trails. Will be posting now to finished bikes.

02-11-2016.JPG

Latest posts

Back