(ORBO) Massif Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Stans simply because I live about a mile from Performance Bike, and they always seem to have it on sale. I have it in my fat bike, and my Yeti 575.

Noob question, where do you get a valve for a tubeless conversion?

If you want presta valves, most bike shops should have them. OR Amazon. Stans valves are good. If you want schrader valves, then your pretty much stuck with split tube.

So, if I got with 24 spokes over 18, the bike will be 80g heavier. BUT, I have a feeling that I will get on this bike every so often, and I'm afraid that 18 spokes may not be strong enough for my fat gut.

I have a tendency to ride stuff on my boys bike when he is afraid to try it, to show him how to do it.

Yeah, the strength to weight ratio is always important. And with those massive (pun intended) holes in the rims, you might want 24 just for a little more structure. I agree on the Stans tubeless valve stems. I like their tape too for a regular sized rim. Usually run two layers, helps take up some of the air space for that bead to pop on nice and good!

Tires just showed up!!!! They are so cool! 20x4 Specialized Ground Control.

They are 1070g and 1100g. Stock tires are 1925g and 2000g! So the tires save me another 1755g or 3.87 pounds!!

Total weight saving so far is 6.87 pounds.

1EB7A3BF-06FA-4D33-A6F4-74DEA10851E0_zpsjzk4mmgl.jpg

7B0B74D2-CEA7-40F3-9582-428714C0D906_zpslwlu5wwz.jpg

2329FE33-FFAF-4F0A-8F6B-81A822BE5AB1_zps1hyxdiqr.jpg

Moto cross style . Those are wicked wide & light for the size .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the wheels built up. 24 spoke instead of 36. It makes for a cool pattern too!

Front wheel is 1150g, rear is 1290. Saved 140g in spokes and nipples.

total weight savings at this point is 7.18 pounds

85717988-A507-4949-A297-364458EE78FC_zpsrhpiu1nr.jpg

4F942D37-CC82-4888-98F9-4DDF15D7FEC9_zpsbghanv6i.jpg

895EC3B1-7314-49F2-BD02-068FADCE4E21_zps3cwy43r5.jpg
Wheels look tight! And I like the mid-century chair in the back ground...did you modify that too or did it come with the rockers? :grin:

Thanks guys! That is a Genuine original Herman Miller knockoff! Most of our furniture is mid-century. Almost all of it is Heywood Wakefield, except for our couch, which is a reproduction, and our bed, because its really hard to find a vintage king size bed. I made our bar from an old console record player.

Ultra - cool! Like to get a look at that bar....:nod:

Got the cranks today. Origin8 140mm arms. Saved 1.06 pounds!

Also working on the tubeless setup, fighting it, stupid rims wont seat. More on that later.

Total weight saved so far is 8.24 pounds!

Last edited:
Got the cranks today. Origin8 140mm arms. Saved 1.06 pounds!

Also working on the tubeless setup, fighting it, stupid rims wont seat. More on that later.

Total weight saved so far is 8.24 pounds!
Have you tried putting liquid soap around the tire bead? It will provide a nice smooth surface to make contact. It will also make the bead slide into place with a resounding "pop" and help seat. Last ditch effort is the belt / rope around the outside of the tire to compress it on the center line of the rim and force the beads out to the clincher edge of the rim.

I tried everything. Ratcheting strap around the tire, soap, even straying starter fluid in the tire and hitting it with a lighter. Nothing would get it to seat.

So I put a tube in and filled it up. Even with a tube there isn't a really hard seat to these tires. I assume its the rim profile because there was an areas that I was easily able to seat better, even with pressure.

The bikes these tires some on only have a 90mm rim, I am using a 100mm rim. I bet that 10mm makes a big difference.

I did the math, and tubeless will save me about a half pound, so I am going to skip it for now, and I may come back to it later.

Latest posts

Back