(ORBO) MasterSports/CyclePro (HEATSINK DONE AND FITTED!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also 2 added health benefits.
1. You get exercise by riding your bike.
2. Unhealthy grease is flung off the bacon.
Added plus - no longer have to lube your chain!
51u%2B9ajYeYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Luke,
Where do you strap the bacon?

Haha! That is sweet my 'sconnie rat brother! And, it kind of begs the question: Would a heavy wrap of aluminum foil for the big downhill days save the wear and tear on the coaster hub...?! Toe clip strap or some such to hold the foil in place, remove when back on rollers and flat land...! We have Reynolds tubing. Why not Reynolds heat sink material!?! :21:

Love that heatsink!

You've got it looking shiny and "fit" now after all that gram shaving! :bigsmile: Seriously, the profile of it has a real manufactured look to it, much more like a finished product. And when mounted on the laced wheel we finally have a perspective of it's size and mass....doesn't look overpowering at all! And, as a by-product of this build, you may have just invented a new fangled desk fan that operates quietly, creates a nice air flow, and looks cool as h-e-double toothpicks!
Thanks OJ!
sweet!!!!
:thumbsup:
Very cool!!!
:thumbsup:
Luke,
Where do you strap the bacon?

I love that video, shows just how hot they can get too!
Sweet! It turned out great. I bet that will help keep the heat down considerably.

mmmmmmm. bacon.........

Pack tomatoes and bread with you and have a fresh blt on the trail....

Building... riding...
Pretty sure that hub will never have a heat issue now! Not bad considering it started out as a kids bike KT with 'sidewalk use only' stamped on the arm!
Also 2 added health benefits.
1. You get exercise by riding your bike.
2. Unhealthy grease is flung off the bacon.
Added plus - no longer have to lube your chain!
51u%2B9ajYeYL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
:21:
Haha! That is sweet my 'sconnie rat brother! And, it kind of begs the question: Would a heavy wrap of aluminum foil for the big downhill days save the wear and tear on the coaster hub...?! Toe clip strap or some such to hold the foil in place, remove when back on rollers and flat land...! We have Reynolds tubing. Why not Reynolds heat sink material!?! :21:
No reason why that wouldn't work, may look a little odd...
Love that heatsink!
Thanks KF!

Not much left to do on this bike now, waiting on a seat to come back from being covered with Kangaroo leather and thinking about cleaning and clearing the frame. Rides great and is awesome fun!

Luke.

Like they used to say on TV back in the ´60s....¨and now, back to our regularly scheduled program¨....BACK40 that is....;)
Just a quick cargo trike build and then I will be back on the big boy Back40!
I'm thinking maybe you should of kept the 'sidewalk use only' arm as a badge of pride!
I still have it and I am liking your thinking! :thumbsup:
Kangaroo leather. I hope it's comfy, cuz roos can be pretty tough.
That they can! This is part of the same batch of 'Roo leather I bought for my unfinished BOTEN 'OutLaw' build... Very nice stuff!

Luke.

Sounds interesting; would love to see it.....even just some drawings.
Hopefully I will be building it soon, stay posted! ;)

Interestingly I also bought enough Aluminium this time to build extras... (I didn't have an option, I had to buy a full length!)

Luke.

That's a good thing. I'd think the move would be to buy a wide length of solid round rod, and then remove any material that is not a rockin' heatsink. Drill out the center to fit the hubshell's OD, machine a lot of fins, split it in half so you can get it over the flanges, and then drill/thread it so you can attach it.... or build some clamps like you did with your prototype....

*Luke now goes into full Heat Sink build mode* I can hear BACK40 crying in your shed way across the world...."he's forgotten completely about me"....:arghh:
Back40 is the build I really want to be working on at the moment! I am stuck doing this trike for the moment and the heatsink will be for working on during fireban days or at night.
That's a good thing. I'd think the move would be to buy a wide length of solid round rod, and then remove any material that is not a rockin' heatsink. Drill out the center to fit the hubshell's OD, machine a lot of fins, split it in half so you can get it over the flanges, and then drill/thread it so you can attach it.... or build some clamps like you did with your prototype....
I started out with that thought, but my little lathe would not be up to the job, my new plan has one centre clamp and 4x 6 1/2" round by 1/8" thick fins.

24342405570_0eaa0181d3_z.jpg

Should be roughly the same weight as the prototype but about twice the cooling. (Theoretically.)

Luke.

Luke, have you thought about making one from thin plates with spacers in between? Heat sink and air cooling at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what this next one will be. There will be 4x1/8 thick fins with gaps between them.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back