(ORBO) Mesa Büggie : BACK40 Old and New = Rat-isfaction! pg 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran into a couple of guys on custom cruisers at the art fair in Gilbert. They were on their way to the SanTan Brewery Brews Cruise...a bike / craft brewery ride with 200 other aficianados! And then on the way home, I found this bridal party just heading on to their next destination...all aboard cruiser bikes! Diggin' the AZ bike culture big time.....
IMG_20160220_155151.JPG

IMG_20160220_144935.jpg
IMG_20160220_154903.JPG

Had some lo mien from my favorite Bamboo Garden tonight. This was the message in my fortune cookie. Thought it was very true and appropriate to this site....

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" :soapbox:

That's better than your fortune saying. "That wasn't chicken"
Hehehe

Had some lo mien from my favorite Bamboo Garden tonight. This was the message in my fortune cookie. Thought it was very true and appropriate to this site....

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" :soapbox:

Rings true with me do sure. Building/making something I enjoy is how I wind down after a week of work...

Riding is how I work off some of the stress nn

Building... riding...

Well, with Mesa Büggie in the bag, I told Luke I would put up some of my own BACK40 shed picks since he is on hiatus for a couple weeks.
Got outside today in beautiful 60 degree March weather and got the back deck put together. This is recycled cedar fence that used to provide a backdrop to my wife's flower garden. We took it down to open up the view to the BACK40 and pond. Bought 8 treated 2x4x8's and screwed underneath to provide support. Then used up most of the left over lumber in the scrap pile for bracing the floating deck. Will add a step for the entrance to the shop later. Step off at the highest point is only 11", so no railing needed to get in the way.
IMG_20160311_151634.jpg

IMG_20160311_151608.jpg

IMG_20160311_151608.jpg

IMG_20160311_151645.jpg

IMG_20160311_151704.jpg

And a shot from inside out the back door to the deck, pond view. Still holding on to some ice...
IMG_20160311_151747.jpg

Nice! Looks like you are building a great place to kick back and enjoy the view.

Building... riding...
And keep the rat rod bike building hobby going! Next step is to put in the electrical. Still frost in the ground, which makes trench digging a little tough...cold blast again at the end of the coming week. Then there's staining the outside, interior design and construction, mounting the bike display / storage racks, figuring out where the tools go....it's going to be awhile before any bikes are built in here!

One week to go f-Rat-ernity bruthas and sista! Lots of builds I am hoping to see hit the "Finished line".....is YOURS one of them? GTK! (get to klunkin') :grin:

Ha, Oddjob. Minor setback here (12" heavy white stuff hit Wed - still diggin out. Gonna put different bars on the Heavy Duti Rocket and get some more riding in before April 1 - I hope...
build weather.jpg

Ha, Oddjob. Minor setback here (12" heavy white stuff hit Wed - still diggin out. Gonna put different bars on the Heavy Duti Rocket and get some more riding in before April 1 - I hope...
View attachment 20102
Yeah, we got about 5-6" here. Melted now though. I got out and put in some more work on the BACK40 shed today. Ramp built for wheeling bikes right in / out of the door. There was a bit of a grade there, didn't want to fill it all in with dirt / rock. Decided to match the cedar fence panels on the back deck. Should have a nice vintage look after a few years of use....
IMG_20160325_145251.jpg

IMG_20160325_145226.jpg

I suddenly had a vision of Mr. Ed sticking his head out the top of a split door to talk to Wilbur. :rofl:

Seriously though, the shop looks like it's coming together well.

I suddenly had a vision of Mr. Ed sticking his head out the top of a split door to talk to Wilbur. :rofl:

Seriously though, the shop looks like it's coming together well.
A split barn door...now that would be rat-isfying indeed! If I added another cross piece on the door panel, and a second hinge next to the middle one supported by the new cross piece...dagnabit Shakesbeerean, you've got me now. Ohhhhh Willllburrr.....ahahhaha!

Decided against the digging a trench through 150' of rocky and obstacle strewn backyard. In honor of the ORBO I'm going OGPO (Off-Grid Power Option) on the BACK40! Just got her hooked up today. 55 amp deep cycle battery, 3000 watt power inverter (DC to AC), about 30' of romex, couple light fixtures with LED bulbs (only 9w power consumption, 65w of light) and a few hours on a balmy 45 degree March Saturday in the northland.
Here is a video of the start of the day, along with a couple of pics from the end result....

IMG_20160326_201148.jpg

IMG_20160326_201135.jpg

IMG_20160326_201344.jpg

It's really nice and bright in there!

Last edited:
Decided against the digging a trench through 150' of rocky and obstacle strewn backyard. In honor of the ORBO I'm going OGPO (Off-Grid Power Option) on the BACK40! Just got her hooked up today. 55 amp deep cycle battery, 3000 watt power inverter (DC to AC), about 30' of romex, couple light fixtures with LED bulbs (only 9w power consumption, 65w of light) and a few hours on a balmy 45 degree March Saturday in the northland. He're a few pics....View attachment 20271
View attachment 20272
View attachment 20273
It's really nice and bright in there!
You, planning on hooking a panel to the battery.
Your workshop is gonna be like my retirement house. A 16x16 two story shed for a house, off the grid in the Appalachians.

You, planning on hooking a panel to the battery.
Your workshop is gonna be like my retirement house. A 16x16 two story shed for a house, off the grid in the Appalachians.
There is a power switch on the inverter to power the whole system off and on. 3 ac outlets for power tools / bar lights. Each is switchable as well, with fuses built in. And I mounted pull chain light fixtures, so if I only need one on at a time that is doable. PS, you might have missed the video I just added 3 min ago to the front of the pics in this post. Your retirement house sounds good! Maybe a "spec visit" to the BACK40 would be good inspiration...

Maybe I'll get some ideas.
But by panel, I meant solar. You've gotta keep the battery charged, maybe you did. I'll check the video.

Latest posts

Back