(ORBO) The Flunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK. Finally a buildoff I can get behind.

I'm in with this
IMG_20160114_202900837_zpshidtdrll.jpg

Going Neo Klunk with it. New school MTB stuff on a 63 year old bike. The purists wont be happy. I don't care what they think.

Nice. Love the old patina. Is that a Monark..? Like your plan, and I think you will find, there are many old / new school mixers here. Rat on! :)

Parts are (mostly) in

IMG_20160127_170743715_zpschmvkusz.jpg

FSA V-drive crankset, Surly chainring, unknown brand of bashguard. All need a coat of paint

IMG_20160127_201154176_zpskf3dphhj.jpg

An old WTB SpeedV saddle out of the junkpile under my workbench

IMG_20160127_201145803_zpseepzpdou.jpg

24" Felt Berm Masters. Right now they are sitting on a set of heavy steel rims. The rear has a Western Flyer stamped coaster hub, and the front is off a trike or something undustrial, because it has some beefy beefy spokes on it. Eventually these will get replaced with Wide Sun Ringle alloy rims with Surly SS disc hubs. Screw the Purists.

And it all together(ish)
IMG_20160127_201138171_zpslhhrt3vl.jpg

I still need to get pedals, a proper BB to make the FSA meet up with the Truvativ BB adapter properly, a longer seatpost, and proper bars and stem. The bar/stem combo on it are just a placeholder until the right stuff shows up

I have everything but the bars and stem. Should have looked at where my parts were coming from.

China

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have everything but the bars and stem. Should have looked at where my parts were coming from.

China

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I found some cool bars on ebay but I hesitate to order from out of the country. I'm too impatient for the shipping time frame! That bike would look cool with some vintage motocross bars on it....I'm on the hunt myself. There were more to pick from in August when I built Desert Sky, not so many now. Love your natural patina and the fat tires! Good choice on rubber. :thumbsup:

Sweet video!!! I saw Tom Petty in 85 in Houston,Tx
Bet that was a great concert. Never seen him live, but I really like his song construction and his musicians are really fine. Good song writer too.

Still waiting for china...

But I threw some temporary parts on and......

Its rideable!

IMG_20160203_195245939_zpsv1huh9go.jpg

I still need to:

-Replace the seatpost with a longer one (courtesy of an old schwinn exerciser)
-Install the proper stem, bars, and grips
-paint or replace seatpost clamp
-get better pedals

Has a great classic klunker look.:thumbsup: Which bar, stem, grips do you have on the docket? Maybe grab a couple of colors of Testors small bottles and mix your own red color to match for the seat post clamp? Or depending on color of seat post, stem and bars match it to those? Looking good!

Latest posts

Back