Original Paint: How far is too far gone for old paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another thread about the “too far gone” question for whole bicycles, (frame integrity?),
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/how-far-gone-is-too-far-gone.75358/but what about too far gone for original paint?

I have recently found a bike with about 50% original paint, but it seems that the 50% is mostly on the bottom surfaces of the frame; (i.e., not too visible).
Is there any common understanding of when the mere remnants of original paint is no longer in the category of original paint, and a candidate for repaint by almost any means?

I understand that there are some folks with really nice 99.99% original paint bikes and 100% restored bikes that might suggest that everyone else’s bikes should stay rustic, (for some reason).

So is there a round number that indicates a candidate for sending to the sand blast shop.

Last edited:
What color is it? If it’s black I have touched up where I welded in small dents, weld on mounting tabs and holes with a dab of spray bomb black and right away blended it in with my finger. Usually two coats. You couldn’t tell. I did this for a friends 1953 Schwinn and he couldn’t believe that it was unnoticeable. If I tried this on bigger areas I would do small areas and finger blend. It’s smooth and looks just like the original 60 year old black paint. It might also work using brush on paint. Black is pretty much the same color everywhere unless it’s got metal flake in it. Of course, this wouldn’t work on other colors unless you have the original paint.

I found another thread about the “too far gone” question for whole bicycles, (frame integrity?),
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/how-far-gone-is-too-far-gone.75358/but what about too far gone for original paint?

I have recently found a bike with about 50% original paint, but it seems that the 50% is mostly on the bottom surfaces of the frame; (i.e., not too visible).
Is there any common understanding of when the mere remnants of original paint is no longer in the category of original paint, and a candidate for repaint by almost any means?

I understand that there are some folks with really nice 99.99% original paint bikes and 100% restored bikes that might suggest that everyone else’s bikes should stay rustic, (for some reason).

So is there a round number that indicates a candidate for sending to the sand blast shop.
Do what makes you happy!

With old things, I tend to like a little character to show. Shows age. I'd say original paint is never too far gone, especially with bicycles. To each their own I guess. If you keep it original you never need to worry about scuffing it up now and then.:thumbsup:

What color is it? .
Purchased frame and ribbed forks only online, I could not see much color then, presuming mostly all pitted rust (and maybe previously black with nickel).
Was thinking of a black semi-gloss project with a head badge picturing an NY Indian.

When I opened the box, I found the double bent (kinked) bar frame was flat Olive Green, with some bright green accent darts on head tube and seat tube; but partially gone all over, and vice versa.
A bit of pinkish-red primer specks showing in places, so perhaps it was soaked in acidic solution in the past?
Not sure if one had ever clear-coated it in the past, or if it was just ~105 years old dirt.

Maybe I should just continue slowly with the steel wool, (or some polishing compound?).

Last edited:
Purchased frame and ribbed forks online, I could not see much color, presuming mostly all pitted rust (and maybe previously black with nickel).
Was planning on a black semi-gloss project with a head badge picturing an NY Indian.

When I opened the box, I found the double bent (kinked) bar frame was flat Olive Green, with some bright green accent darts on head tube and seat tube; but partially gone all over.
Not sure if one had ever clear-coated it in the past, or if it was just ~105-year old dirt.

Maybe I should just continue slowly with the steel wool, (or some polishing compound?).
Use solvent and a tooth brush followed by Simple Green to clean it and then coat the frame with a few thin layers of drying oil like Penetrol, boiled linseed or tung. Wait a few days between Coates. It’s mat not gloss when it dries. Penetrol is used in marine environments so I usually use that, but any will work.

For bikes that are gonna get ridden and enjoyed, I like beat-up original paint better than shiny new paint for a number of reasons, such as:

Shiny new paint requires a ton of prep for which I have no patience.
Shiny new paint means you gotta get shiny new parts to match or spend a zillion hours removing every last speck of rust from fenders and hubs and handlebars et cetera ad infinitum, for which (you guessed it) I have no patience.
Shiny new paint hurts when it gets scratched, as it inevitably will if you enjoy riding what you build.
Shiny new paint requires skill to lay down, which I lack, or money to pay someone else to lay down, which I also lack.
Shiny new paint on a bike restoration, no matter how well done, never looks quite like the original and it shows. (However, well done shiny new paint on a custom is a whole different story and is amazing.)

Besides all that, I love the character of any old and beat-up but mechanically well maintained machine.

(Disclaimer: MOO, YMMV)

edit: it occurred to me I didn't actually address the original question. I don't have a good number, but I submit here a few examples of my original-paint beaters to give an idea of how far gone ISN'T too far gone for me:
20211115_073059.jpg
20190113_100318.jpg
20210110_133504.jpg
20200512_141323.jpg

Last edited:
This is a good topic of discussion. Like many others said, when it comes to paint, "how far is too far gone" all comes down to personal preference.

That said, I've got a related question to pose regarding bikes with original paint and patina:
Suppose you have a bike you really like with original paint and patina that looks good as is, but you want to paint the bike in a different color/scheme; do you leave the original paint and patina alone, or strip it down and paint it the way you really want?

I've got this 1952 Schwinn straight bar that has a real barn-find finish going on, and it would make a great rat rod bike with the paint as it is. That said, I don't want another rusty red bike in my small collection, as I already have 2 other original patina'd red bikes as it is. I'd really love to customize this bike, and paint it either a classic gloss black, a faux-tina green, or a wild satin blue with scallops. Trouble is, I'm kind of a purist, and I know that I'd kind of be going backwards repainting this bike. I kind of don't want to strip this one down and repaint it, at least when I could just get another Schwinn straight bar or 2 that are already missing the original paint, and modify those instead. At the same time, I already have this bike, the frame looks straight and solid, and it'd be a great bike to customize. What would you do in a scenario like this?
DSC_8237.jpg
DSC_8249.jpg
DSC_8345.jpg

I don't have an answer for that. On one hand, it is too far gone for my collection. I'm a little bit obsessive regarding tactile sensation and I don't think I could handle a bike like that. On the other hand, I love the original graphics, they really put a highlight on the frame, plus I can imagine the life story of the bike by studying the patina. I think for me a bike like that could only be a display bike unless it was sealed in with a finish coat of some sort. I'm not rational about it whatsoever, this is my personal peccadillo.

I don't have an answer for that. On one hand, it is too far gone for my collection. I'm a little bit obsessive regarding tactile sensation and I don't think I could handle a bike like that. On the other hand, I love the original graphics, they really put a highlight on the frame, plus I can imagine the life story of the bike by studying the patina. I think for me a bike like that could only be a display bike unless it was sealed in with a finish coat of some sort. I'm not rational about it whatsoever, this is my personal peccadillo.
I hear you. Personally, while I want to paint most of the bikes in my collection, I really don't have a problem with rust and patina. The problem is that I'm really picky about how the paint and patina looks. I don't know if this is the best way to explain it, but if the bike isn't a color I particularly like, or if the original paint was spray-painted over and that paint is peeling off/rusting away (like on my Newsboy Special, pictured below,) or if the rust looks... weird, then any of those factors will make me want to either paint the bike the way I want, or exchange the bike for one I'd like better. The patina on my Schwinn, at least in my opinion, looks great; I just don't like the color. I've already got 2 red bikes I plan to leave alone, and red's one of my least favorite colors anyways. So, I'm torn about what to do on it. Paint it, or sell it to/trade it with someone who'll appreciate the original paint more than me and get a bike that I won't feel guilty about painting my own way?

BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_1.jpg

The red-rust color bikes are closer to my original question, than the prior post of nice banana bikes (shiny new paint).

The question about an unoriginal color is kind of like the same question that I have and often have; some of my bike projects would look nice in black, but how many black bicycles might get a bit boring— although black does go with everything.
(Not sure if I can say the same thing about rust; not sure if giving it time to grow on me, that I would like it— someday?).

A separate question might be glossy black paint versus semi-gloss black; always leaning toward semi-gloss, maybe to help hide imperfections, or just to avoid waxing(?). (The higher-gloss might look best with some expensive decals).

Last edited:
The red-rust color bikes are closer to my original question, than the prior post of nice banana bikes (shiny new paint).

The question about an unoriginal color is kind of like the same question that I have and often have; some of my bike projects would look nice in black, but how many black bicycles might get a bit boring— although black does go with everything.
(Not sure if I can say the same thing about rust; not sure if giving it time to grow on me, that I would like it— someday?).

A separate question might be glossy black paint versus semi-gloss black; always leaning toward semi-gloss, maybe to help hide imperfections, or just to avoid waxing(?). (The higher-gloss might look best with some expensive decals).
Like I and a lot of folks before me said, it all comes down to personal preference.

I don't have a huge collection, less than 20 personal project bikes in total, so I want each bike to be as unique as possible. That means I want to avoid using the same bike frame, paint color, and build style as much as possible. I want to have at least one of every color bike if possible. I don't have a finished black bike yet, so this Schwinn would be be a solid candidate for gloss or satin black.

My best advice regarding the original question (aside from what's already been said,) is to figure out what you want to do with the bike, and to figure out the pros and cons to repainting a bike with (some of) the original paint. Here are some questions I tend to ask myself before I repaint a bike:

1. Is the original paint in decent condition? (color still showing well, rust/scratches don't take away from the look, etc.)

2. Do I like the original paint? (Do I like the color? Do I like the graphics, if any are present? Do I like the condition/patina of the paint? Could I see myself riding a bike that looks like this?)

3. How old/rare/valuable is the bike in untouched original condition? (This is usually the question that halts any plans to repaint a bike, at least for me. Most of the bikes I have aren't super old or valuable, are fairly common, and/or have either been painted over or lost most of their paint. In cases like these, I just paint the bike the way I want. But as for the Schwinn straight bar I shared earlier, while that style of bike is fairly common, it's also one of the oldest in my collection, and probably one of the most valuable. I've seen just the frame, in worse condition than mine, go for around $200+ online. So, with that knowledge in mind, I'm not sure I want to modify such an old, untouched and fairly valuable bike when I'd feel much better selling it to/trading it with someone who'll appreciate it the way it is more than I will. I'd rather modify a bike that has either been repainted or modified in a way that doesn't make me feel guilty about doing what I want with it. Which leads me to the next question...)

4. How easy is it for me to find another bike like this? (Are there any bicycle swap meets near my area? If so, how soon and how often do they occur? How often does this sort of bike come up on Craigslist, eBay, Facebook Marketplace or even OfferUp? How much do these bikes typically sell for? Can I trade the bike I'm hesitant to paint for an identical one that I'd feel comfortable painting my own way? Would a replacement bike cost more than what I paid for the one I have? If you can't find a bike similar to the one you have, it might just be best to go ahead and build your bike the way you want.)

As for the black gloss/semi-gloss paint, maybe it all comes down to whether you want decals or not. If you decide to paint your bike, maybe you can spray your parts with some cheap spray paint from Wal-Mart, just to see how it looks. That's what I did with one of my bikes when I was trying to decide whether I wanted full or bobbed fenders but couldn't decide because all the parts were different colors.

I hope this helps you.

I don't have a huge collection, less than 20 personal project bikes in total
Haha that's another area worth discussing. Only to a bike collector would "less than 20 bikes" be a small pile. When I have non bikers over, my "little fleet", also less than 20, but getting close, usually surprises people, and I have to try to convince them I'm not a weirdo hoarder. I'm just a regular weirdo with some bikes.

I agree with Bike from the Dead on determining painting/restoration. I have a 1964 Cycle Truck but it had been painted battleship gray by the time it came into my hands. So, it will get stripped and fully restored. I also have a 1967 Stingray I’ve owned since it was new. It was rode hard and really punished. The paint is rough and there is some rust. I decided that the patina was not even and so I will do a full restoration on this bike also. Had the Violet paint been in decent shape I would never touch it and leave it all original.

Haha that's another area worth discussing. Only to a bike collector would "less than 20 bikes" be a small pile. When I have non bikers over, my "little fleet", also less than 20, but getting close, usually surprises people, and I have to try to convince them I'm not a weirdo hoarder. I'm just a regular weirdo with some bikes.
Yeah, you got me there. Admittedly, "less than 20 bikes" still feels like a lot to me, especially when most of them aren't even finished yet. It just feels like a small amount when I see just how many bikes the more veteran builders and collectors own. It can turn into an addiction real quick if you're not careful!

Latest posts

Back