Overcomplicated Suicide Shifters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I'd do a quick post about the Retro Rocket's shifters as, though I doubt this is likely to be imitated, there may be some helpful things for anyone contemplating a suicide shifter from grip shifters for the first time.

This is Retro Rocket:

43138804_10156107294343191_5776441424950067200_n 5.53.21 PM.jpg

The challenge here was fitting everything into the hollow rocket body while also allowing the rocket body to be raised and lowered. Oh, and having everything actually work properly.

The rocket fuselage is HDPE drain pipe and this bike has been used pretty often over the last several years, hence the "patina" of chipped paint. Anyway, these are the original ~1997 lower end Shimano grip shifters mounted to a piece of cut handlebar that spans across the fuselage. Normally, the grip mechanism is held together by the grip on one end and the allen set screw on the main casing of the shifter. This could have been solved more easily than what follows, but I also had the switches for the lights in the ends of the wood shift levers (originals were damaged in a fall and the switches were redundant, anyway, so now they're just switched via the switches on the 12V battery packs instead) and this required the shift lever shafts to be tubes to wire up the switches. The smallest suitable tube I could use was 3/8" OD, so I got 1/2" shaft collars and drilled holes in them for the tube to pass through. Whatever part of the grip shifter extended beyond the collars, I cut off. I couldn't run the wires through the handlebar and up the shift tubes for the sake of safety (sharp edges with such thin wall even if filed), strength, and there wasn't space with the tensioning mechanism, so they passed through the bottom of the tube into the rocket body with an extension spring transitioning the wires from rotating shifter to stationary rocket body.
IMG_7563.JPG

Here, you can see the extension spring the wires used to travel through. In the middle of the handlebar, you can see the top of a lightly rusting thumbscrew that I drilled a hole through the head of for the shift tube to pass through. This is the end of the tensioner that works to both hold the shifter assembly together in lieu of the grip it was originally designed for and pull the whole thing in toward the rocket fuselage with adjustable tension so that ghost shifts can be adjusted out (mostly, but I think the little that remains is a consequence of the convoluted turns the shift cable housing has to make within the rocket fuselage).
IMG_7562.JPG

Here are the tensioners (each shifter has its own). The thumb screw is the threaded part you can see inside the cut handlebar. There is a nylok nut on it that is seated against a sealed ball bearing (to allow the shifter to turn) which is, in turn, seated against a flat aluminum insert. Turning the nylok nut adjust the tension by pulling the shift lever in against the resistance of the bearing on the fixed aluminum insert. The vertically threaded thing in the middle with the wing nuts is just a stopper that adjusts the angle of the nose of the rocket, which is needed to match the height of the seat, which the other end of the rocket fuselage is secured to, so you can ignore that. You can also see some of the convoluted cable housing I was writing about.
IMG_7564.JPG

Just another angle where the bearing and aluminum insert is more visible.

IMG_7565.JPG

Hope this makes sense and is helpful to someone for whatever ideas they might be contemplating.

I'll play.
So it started with a grip shifter, a rusty 9/16" 3/8drive socket, a crane control knob, a scrap plastic tube and some pvc pieces.

Well, i didn't really dig the look. Stuck out too much to my liking. So I ordered up a Project 346 shifter.

Once it came in from Deutschland, I needed to figure out how to mount the sunnavagun, since I didnt fancy the idea of drilling holes into the frame. Especially since I'm known to change my mind. That's where these mounts came in to play.
I was thinking I was done. Wrong. Shifter looked a bit drab. A tad to simple. It needed something. What? I didnt know. Until I was at the parthouse and saw something cheesy that caught my eye.

Did a little dremel surgery.

And came up with this

I dug it.
BUT. It was lacking that pop.
Found some leftover DOT tape.
And it finally it got my attention.

After a bit of paint and a nice refreshing chela. I concluded I was done.
BUT. While popping open another brew. I got hit with some crisp inspiration. An Arrogant ....... bottle cap, some gentle massaging and a micromagnet. I ended up with this

So far, I'm pleased with the outcome. For now...

Latest posts

Back