P40- SHE'S AWOL!!! Now Showing X-52.5 aka Plan B

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike will be my tribute to a WWII fighter plane that was as American as apple pie!! Especially after some crazy nose art that the Flying Tigers added to their planes!

2562237079_65cd174cfe_z.jpg

frouch_p-40n_01.jpg

These pictures are my inspiration for this build. So, there will be no flashy chrome, just some od green paint although I may do a white or creme belly similar to the lower picture.

Now for the aka part of my title, I will be building this bike from a curved seat tube Elgin girl's frame.

s-l1600_1_.jpg

I got this girl off of ebay real cheap! My plan is to cut and flip the upper tube, then add a top tube above it, so that I will have an area to build a tank panel. Here is a glimpse of my fine drawing skills showing my vision for this build.

P-40_bike.png

Who doesn't love the iconic AVG P-40s?

I've been ready for this warbird to get off the ground.
Can't wait to see your work on this baby.

Here are some of the parts that I will be adding to the front end.

IMG_1985.JPG

Didn't need anything too fancy for a stem since it will be painted anyway. I will extend the reach on the bars and build a crossbar very similar to my Zenith bike, then I have a sight mount planned off of the crossbar. The truss rods should add to the look of the fork, I'm going leaf spring for this bike.

IMG_1994.JPG

I located a 60's cosmic flyer frame that will donate it's top bar.

Well, I removed the top bar from the boy's frame and the top bar from this frame then took them to work for some heating and bending yesterday. I did plug where I flipped the girl's top bar when I got home today and started welding everything together!! I am fairly happy with the result although I had intended the tank panel area would be a little bigger. Girl's bike no more...........

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

I went ahead and threw the fork and truss rods on to get an idea of my progress.

IMG_1990.JPG

I'm liking this so I added the stem and bars, the bars are getting some modifications but this still helps get a visual of where we are headed.....

IMG_1992.JPG

nice, I love the p40 such a nice looking aircraft. can't wait to see more.

Latest posts

Back