Paper Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to enter my first build off! I have a 1968 Schwinn frame that I have been planning to build, and a handful of spare parts I need to make a home for. I know the frame is either a Typhoon or a Heavy duti, but I haven't been able to figure out which just yet. I have always wanted a heavy duti, so it'll probably end up being a sort of tribute to one. Overall it'll be a Rat rod paperboy bike, which I have dubbed Paper Rat. I'll get some pictures up this evening once I get out of work!

If the name on the chain guard is missing the Typhoon and Heavy Duti look alike. If it was painted over, you may still see the lettering of the name.
The Schwinn ads all say the Heavy Duti had a reinforced cantilever frame, but I've never seen a difference in the frames. Someone here might know what the difference is. I'll take a look at your pics and compare them to a regular Schwinn cantilever frame for any differences.
It did have bigger gauge spokes, if you have the original wheels that would be the way to tell which model it is.
Either way it should work out great.

I still don't see how the frames were any different from the standard cantilever. I did notice something new, only the 1983 (last Chicago year) Heavy Duti used a diamond frame instead of a cantilever.

1624519987740.png

Yeah it is just advertising copy, take it as such. I'm probably going to get branded a heathen now, but I prefer the later two bar style (not Chicago :blush: )

Welcome to the build off fun! Looking forward to your build.

RaT oN~!

Thanks for all the info, guys! I had some time to gather parts and get a picture, but that was about it. I'm in the middle of moving and trying to sell my house, so things have been chaotic lately.
I think I got this frame off of eBay if I'm not mistaken. It was a bare frame when I got it, the only things it came with were the kickstand and the bearing races.
So far I've picked out a wheel set with a 7 speed hub in the rear, have a correct-ish chain guard, some fenders off of a department store bike, a couple sets of forks to choose from until I can come up with a correct set, and a decent hoop sprocket.
I hope to gather some more parts this evening, and I'll try to get some pictures of the welds on the frame to try and identify it. It's been painted white at some point, with this blue on top. I haven't been able to find any original paint yet, but I also haven't knocked the races out to see what's underneath yet (it was painted blue with all the races still in)
IMG_20210623_171226915.jpg

Thanks for all the info, guys! I had some time to gather parts and get a picture, but that was about it. I'm in the middle of moving and trying to sell my house, so things have been chaotic lately.
I think I got this frame off of eBay if I'm not mistaken. It was a bare frame when I got it, the only things it came with were the kickstand and the bearing races.
So far I've picked out a wheel set with a 7 speed hub in the rear, have a correct-ish chain guard, some fenders off of a department store bike, a couple sets of forks to choose from until I can come up with a correct set, and a decent hoop sprocket.
I hope to gather some more parts this evening, and I'll try to get some pictures of the welds on the frame to try and identify it. It's been painted white at some point, with this blue on top. I haven't been able to find any original paint yet, but I also haven't knocked the races out to see what's underneath yet (it was painted blue with all the races still in)
View attachment 162383
Cool, did you check for the welds?

Cool, did you check for the welds?

I was able to take a look earlier today, and in guessing this frame would have been a typhoon.
Here's the pictures I got:
IMG_20210624_185404213.jpg

IMG_20210624_185410813.jpg

I will probably still badge it as a heavy duti, as it's not going to be anywhere near "correct" anyway. I have a rusty, beat up basket for it, and I think I've got a rear rack somewhere that'll work. Tomorrow I plan on gathering some more pieces up and will definitely have some more pictures!

Ready to make some progress! Just mocking some parts up at the moment.
IMG_20210625_184208498.jpg

So far it looks like I'll have to widen the frame a little bit to clear this rear wheel, it has a Sachs 7 speed hub in it. The seat is going to go, I'll probably swap it out for one of the old Schwinn ones I have laying around. I'm going with a pair of whitewalls I have laying around, the problem is that I need to find a fork that's wide enough to clear them, and long enough to work with the frame.

Feel like I made some good progress!
IMG_20210625_204454793.jpg

Might see about having these forks modified to work a little better, but otherwise they're a pretty good fit.
Slapped the 2.125 wide whitewalls on and everything seems to be happy there too. The basket is off of a '63 Hollywood that I restored a few weeks ago, i think it'll look right at home on this bike, now I just need to find a rear rack to match.
Tried a few sets and decided on these wide cruiser bars, and I have a Ratty pair of Schwinn grips somewhere too.
I'm liking the mag sprocket but might swap out the pedals.
Let me know what you guys think!

Feel like I made some good progress!
View attachment 162565
Might see about having these forks modified to work a little better, but otherwise they're a pretty good fit.
Slapped the 2.125 wide whitewalls on and everything seems to be happy there too. The basket is off of a '63 Hollywood that I restored a few weeks ago, i think it'll look right at home on this bike, now I just need to find a rear rack to match.
Tried a few sets and decided on these wide cruiser bars, and I have a Ratty pair of Schwinn grips somewhere too.
I'm liking the mag sprocket but might swap out the pedals.
Let me know what you guys think!
I spy a '66 Chevy...

I have a '65 myself, so I'm a big fan. :inlove:

Nice progress on the build today! Those tires really add a lot to the look.

I spy a '66 Chevy...

I have a '65 myself, so I'm a big fan. :inlove:
I love the '65-66 full size Chevys! That's my dad's Caprice in the background. I have a Caprice 4 door hardtop and an Impala 2 door also, although they aren't as pretty as either of his. For paint on the bike I've been thinking about '66 Chevy Lemonwood Yellow if the local paint shop has a formula for it.

Latest posts

Back