Park Bench mount bike repair stand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
41wv9XskhUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone have one? Had one? Any thoughts on it before I buy?

I recently went through the 'build or buy' questions (then remembered the RRB mtto); I looked at those, and the Park floor model with some lust. I decided that the bench mount would ultimately limit just where I would have to do the work. I find myself using the portable floor model (that I built) in several different locations around and about the place. This winter I used it in the livingroom (absent wife and with a dropcloth beneath), now that it is nicer I used it out on the drive garage pad. If I actually clean up the basement workshop and the garage I can use it in either.
I suggest you just cut to the chase and get the Park floor model (is it the PS-6?). After quite a bit of build frustration it looks like quite a bargain at not much more than the bench mount model.

I'm thinking about getting one of those, or a wall mount. I have a floor stand now - there are two issues I have with it. Well, three really, but the third isn't a fault of the stand.

1) the clamp that holds the head assembly onto the post (same as it is on the one pictured) is plastic and clamped by a pair of small allen-head through bolts. I can't draw it up tight enough to keep it from pivoting when there's a bike on it. Usually isn't a big deal, but sometime annoying. I think that Park's pro-level stands have a shaped tube, so the head is keyed to it and can't pivot.

2) it's sometimes tough to keep the floor stand from rocking if I'm working something loose or doing something that involves a lot of back-and-forth movement. Case in point - I had a Kona frame on the stand last night that belongs to a friend. I was putting a coat of wax on it after cleaning it, and I had to put a foot on one of the stand legs to keep it planted while wax-on, wax-off. A bench or wall mounted stand would be inherently more stable.

The third issue I have isn't a direct fault of the stand itself. Rather, I'm finding that one stand isn't enough. Inevitably, I've got it tied up with a project bike, when I have to perform some service on another. I either put the project aside or service the other bike on the floor. So, I think I can justify a fixed-mount stand as well as the folding floor stand...

Your last point is why I made mine with a tee fitting at the maintube top, I have two clamps, each across from the other. I can have two bikes on or a frame, whatever.....but you need a lot of free area to effectively be able to get around all that.
I used 1 3/4" (min to use) CPVC (instructions are on the 'net, search for: homemade bicycle workstand). I too have the swivel problem; a quick and dirty solution is to drill a few holes to drop a slip-pin into, but tether it or it will get away.

My shop isn't that big, so a double-ended stand wouldn't work for me. Until such time that I can find resources to dig out a basement under the rear half of my house, I'm stuck with the small space I have.

If I can mount a stand to the column that's near the center of the floor (which is near where I work anyway), and have the floor stand free to place as required, it would be the most flexible use of space, I think. One advantage to using a wall-mount is that I can attach it to the column with U-bolts, and that allows me some freedom to pivot it around the column in different directions as need arises.

Latest posts

Back