• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED Parts for 1962 20” twin bar Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some parts for my 62 Schwinn typhoon. Looking for a front fork, handlebars, and a seat with or without the seat post, chain guard and if possible some fenders.Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 859277F0-70C4-4B3C-9B01-54739F564808.jpeg
    859277F0-70C4-4B3C-9B01-54739F564808.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 55
Are you still looking for parts?

Are you putting it back stock looking? Is it a 20" or 24" bike. Looks like a 20" but looks can be deceiving.

What rim size and brand of wheels are you running now? S-2,S-7 etc. The brand of brake may help ID them.

I found a bike on eBay that could solve your wheels/tires and fork problem.

1960 Bantam. It uses the same painted wheels that the Typhoon uses, the tires look like they could be original and the fork rethreaded and cut would be the right style and patina.

There is a guy on The CABE, maybe here as well that will thread and cut the fork for $35 plus shipping costs unless you have a bike shop in your town that can do it. I can get you contact info if you want.

It is a 1960 Bantam so the frame may still be cool to someone building a Pig Bike and girls bike forks or an aftermarket springer will fit it perfectly fine.

The seat is sellable as well unless you have a use for it.

The seatpost may be correct for your bike.
The gooseneck may be too, but the year may be wrong.

I would sell my fork but I am not sure I would never want to put the stock fork back on. I would consider it though. That could keep the other frame and fork intact and they could sell for more money.

I have a red blade fork for a 20" boys bike but it is much later. If you are only putting it back to look stock it wouldn't matter but if you are restoring it the parts are not correct year. They are correct style.

According to the Schwinn 1962 catalog the paint on that bike is Flamboyant Red, not Radiant Red.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-D0-Sc...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I am building a Pig Bike, the thread is titled 1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike if you want to check it out. After I bought the fork I saw your bike here and it is along the lines of what I am doing as well.

If this helps great! I know the rims and stock tires are hard to find as is a period fork the right color. Those would cost what he wants for the whole bike and you could probably make your money back or fund another project with the extra parts.

If it weren't a Bantam I would buy it. I was born in 1960, hence the 1960 at the end of my user name.
I don't need another project, but that has never stopped me in the past.
Rob

I may be interested in the handlebars if you decide to sell them. I always rode with those wide bars as a kid in high school.

Are you still looking for parts?

Are you putting it back stock looking? Is it a 20" or 24" bike. Looks like a 20" but looks can be deceiving.

What rim size and brand of wheels are you running now? S-2,S-7 etc. The brand of brake may help ID them.

I found a bike on eBay that could solve your wheels/tires and fork problem.

1960 Bantam. It uses the same painted wheels that the Typhoon uses, the tires look like they could be original and the fork rethreaded and cut would be the right style and patina.

There is a guy on The CABE, maybe here as well that will thread and cut the fork for $35 plus shipping costs unless you have a bike shop in your town that can do it. I can get you contact info if you want.

It is a 1960 Bantam so the frame may still be cool to someone building a Pig Bike and girls bike forks or an aftermarket springer will fit it perfectly fine.

The seat is sellable as well unless you have a use for it.

The seatpost may be correct for your bike.
The gooseneck may be too, but the year may be wrong.

I would sell my fork but I am not sure I would never want to put the stock fork back on. I would consider it though. That could keep the other frame and fork intact and they could sell for more money.

I have a red blade fork for a 20" boys bike but it is much later. If you are only putting it back to look stock it wouldn't matter but if you are restoring it the parts are not correct year. They are correct style.

According to the Schwinn 1962 catalog the paint on that bike is Flamboyant Red, not Radiant Red.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-D0-Sc...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I am building a Pig Bike, the thread is titled 1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike if you want to check it out. After I bought the fork I saw your bike here and it is along the lines of what I am doing as well.

If this helps great! I know the rims and stock tires are hard to find as is a period fork the right color. Those would cost what he wants for the whole bike and you could probably make your money back or fund another project with the extra parts.

If it weren't a Bantam I would buy it. I was born in 1960, hence the 1960 at the end of my user name.
I don't need another project, but that has never stopped me in the past.
Rob
Thanks oldbikeguy I really appreciate all of that and I’m definitely going to look into everything you said! As for the handlebars I gave them to my brother to put on a bike that he is building. Once again thank you for all of that information

No problem man. I just try to watch for them, I am building 4 or 5 bikes I would use that type of bar on and I have maybe 2 of them.
Actually I think I may have meant if you buy that bike and want to sell the bars and grips I would possibly be interested.

No problem man. I just try to watch for them, I am building 4 or 5 bikes I would use that type of bar on and I have maybe 2 of them.
Actually I think I may have meant if you buy that bike and want to sell the bars and grips I would possibly be interested.yea I have that 62 and I also have a 70
Alright sorry I misunderstood but I’ll definitely let you know if I do decide on it. I also have a 70

I am building a couple 1965 Stingrays, one purple and one lime (repaints), an Apple Krate, an Orange Krate, two Fastbacks, a black 1966 with the Sprint parts and a 1969 Orange 3 speed, a Westpoint badged AMF Flying Wedge and maybe a chrome 1968 Huffy with glitter green seat and Western Flyer grips as well as the 1962 Typhoon Pig Bike in the build thread here. The Pig is up front right now, because it is fresh in my mind and parts are showing up every direction I look. I would put it in the buildoff but I wouldn't have it done quick enough. Maybe I will collect parts and save it for next winter.
Of course all the parts I need for the others are hard to find so the snails are passing me while I am building them.
The easiest is probably the Huffy, not much will be stock on it. The worst part is the Flaming Stack chainguard. I am making a replica of my wheelie bike I had in high school in 1974.
The worst are the Krates, the Apple (my brothers bike) is complete but the Orange (my bike) is missing the front hub and the shifter. Those parts alone cost more than I make in a month.

Alright sorry I misunderstood but I’ll definitely let you know if I do decide on it. I also have a 70
Don't feel bad.
I misunderstood myself.

Wow sounds like you have a lot of projects on your hands! Someday I would like to restore own a couple more bikes but for now i just have those two that I try to work on with my two young kids. Where do they have this build off that you are talking about? Your totally right about the pricing on the krates parts they are out of this world but they are worth it when the bikes are all done I believe.

The winter Build Off for muscle and off road bikes is happening now, winds up in about a month.
Muscle class build journals:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/forums/class-1-muscle-bike-2021-build-journals.222/Off Road class build journals:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/forums/class-2-off-road-build-journals.223/Even if you don't have the parts or time or inclination to enter, look around. There are some cool builds going on. Also, one No Class build:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/bonefish.114845/Avoid that clown at all costs.

Did you ever find the parts you needed to build this bike?
Rob

Latest posts

Back