RRBBO13 Pastiche (Painted, Sneak Peek)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
I'm going for a classic cruiser style build and I'll be using this huffy as a donor.
hXHxnVg.jpg

I'm thinking about something like this.
MpwZZOv.jpg

Get to choppin

The tubing I thought I had turned out to be galvanized pipe that somebody painted black. I'll start chopping things up as soon as I get a few feet of proper tubing. The local metal place only had thick wall tubing so that was a bust.

The thin wall galvanized tubing would work for the lower bar of your drawing, it's just for looks, not strength. You "might" have enough length for the NEW top tube from the removed old top tube, it is longer because of it being a woman's frame.

Did you make those bars from a set of bull bars?

I had to make a bender today to do the top tube using some scrap 2x6's from a pallet. I decided I wanted a 4" drop in the top tube so I used a flexible piece of plastic to mark the curve.
yt6tve6.jpg

Each piece is two 2x6 screwed together and cut with matching curves. The inside of each piece is cut with a 1/2 round router bit so the 1" tubing fits the profile perfectly.
4TIOWsm.jpg

5tz26t5.jpg

The bottom part of the form sits on the lifting part of a floor jack, a chain goes over the top part and under the bottom of the floor jack. When the jack goes up it pulls the two pieces together. The bend turned out pretty nice, no kinks or ugly parts.
DhWCYXk.jpg

Pretty slick jig you made there!

I've really been dragging out some retro colored parts. I found these nice teal with pink and yellow splatter painted forks. The crown shape is a bit more appropriate for a vintage bike and the insides are crimped for tire clearance.
8hLgUdg.jpg

Then I notched the middle bar and got it welded in.
oM3A7IZ.jpg

I've accidentally made a klunker.
KqQw9fZ.jpg

I've actually been riding this bike as I build it, in case you're wondering why I'm building it this way.

Latest posts

Back