Patina, Please!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some work on the fenders and fork to get them looking like the frame.
032.JPG

033.JPG

That looks great!

I had the same bike (Coppertooth) but it had been sandblasted down to bare metal then painted. Nice to see what color it originally was, especially patina like that.
Thanks, I have another Road Master that I bought along with this one. It is covered in thick red paint. I haven't tried to see if there is anything underneath yet.

Amazing job on the cleaning! The OG paint's got a great patina!

Would you give me a run down of the process you did to get it to this point? I've got a frame that's going to need the same treatment soon. I can't tell if its grime or paint, but I wanna take it slow and see if the OG paint that lies under can shine again.

Amazing job on the cleaning! The OG paint's got a great patina!

Would you give me a run down of the process you did to get it to this point? I've got a frame that's going to need the same treatment soon. I can't tell if its grime or paint, but I wanna take it slow and see if the OG paint that lies under can shine again.
I had cleaned the frame with Simple Green. After that had dried, I wiped it down with boiled linseed oil. I didn't really like how it looked at that point, so I started rubbing it with steel wool. This is when I noticed that it had what looked like gold paint over the original. I just kept rubbing with 00 steel wool until I got the look I wanted. I'm not going to try to get every speck of gold paint off. After I got it looking like I wanted, I wiped it off with mineral spirits, let that dry and wiped it with a new coat of linseed oil.
This is the first time I have tried this, and there are probably better ways to do it. I was just trying to be easy on the paint, just trying to get the original to show through using what I had on hand.

OUTSTANDING cleaning--the OG paint on this was a maroon cherry, ivory with orange strips--you have brought it back--patina is awesome.
Wow, I can't believe there's still noticeable original paint under all that. Looks really cool!
Thanks, this will be the ratty cousin to my ORBO Shelby klunker.
20605_efb56bb98e6aa99ad986a2b3e21b96d5.jpeg

Well, I was almost on the back page. Have been doing little boring things to this one. Not really worth reporting. Have had trouble with my crankset. The original came with a bolt welded in place of a pedal.
009.JPG

So I found a replacement dogleg crank from a Hawthorne, ended up being too narrow, and hit the chain stay.
Bought a Roadmaster crank set from marius.suiram which was nice but too shiny. I'll use that later.
Finally had to resort to stealing the crank out of my other Roadmaster.
012.JPG

That was fine until I snapped the pedal off trying to remove it.
006.JPG

Luckily, I was able to get this out without screwing up the threads. So no more crank drama.

Got everything apart.
001.JPG

Pretty nasty under pan. Looks like tar.
002.JPG

Had to resort to gasoline and a brass brush out in the driveway to get this off.
005.JPG

Was wondering what I was going to use for padding, but remembered this old piece of carpet pad that was in the trunk of an old VW I had bought. It was too thick so I split it in half.
006.JPG

Got it glued on and trimmed up.
008.JPG

009.JPG

Tomorrow I will get the leather covering on. The color is "Cherry Cola".
010.JPG

Latest posts

Back