Personal VenVetta

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I’m gonna step over into this off road category and start for now a bomber build based on 1961 Schwinn Corvette 3 spd frame. obviously the “vette” in build name. My buddy Luke and lbs mechanic came up with name and I liked it. Here is original bike i
86D27635-FAA0-4845-8C43-2053522F0DAF.jpeg
bought. Bought from guy who had since ‘63 and about 5 years ago put in yard as yard art ( what a shame).

Here is my parts for build so far,
2C0C3CEE-F7A3-463F-B171-09DD8DCB6BB1.jpeg
corvette frame/ fork blue anodized stuff from original bike on other build. Bars from Jamis boss cruiser, schwaibe table top tires, Fito seat with springs/ handlebar cross brace from moto bars/ wellco bear claw pedals and a new pair of steel coaster brake wheels with heavy duty spokes ( got off spaceliner I bought)

have wanted to build a straight bar, prewar bomber/ klunker but don’t have a prewar frame available right now. I was anticipating getting coppertone corvette, before I got it , I tore this bike apart for parts I would need for it. When I saw bike in person it was rougher than expected and I passed. I kinda counted my chickens before they were hatched. I had a Corvette frame and some wheels with these tires laying nearby in garage and the wheels started turning in my head.

I’m actually a day behind in posts what I wanted to on this bike. Last two days had problems with net and no power at all almost all day. Good thing have generator. Told wife I’d bypass going riding ( my usual routine) to stay home and make sure generator working for her. Needless to say got a lot done.First on agenda get crusty 3spd cable pulley off frame, it was rusted solid, so cut bolt with razor saw then snapped it with chisel.
AF1013C3-0807-447C-BFB4-24A1C99000DA.jpeg
63591F84-5D0F-4FE5-8CD3-D0625DEA34E3.jpeg
24C6FC7E-B000-46F3-9D52-49EE0FE681A7.jpeg

Paint under bracket was trashed and came off, not worried working with easiest color bike to touch up black! But like I said want patina, gonna touch up areas on top tube were steel cable guides were, the bare metaled cable rub area and this area, that’s about it.

Next put bike in stand and get wheels on. A guy had these wheels built and were on bike i bought ( mentioned earlier). I had another nice vintage set with new departure coaster contemplated using. I also contemplated using a freewheel black anodized / red anodized nipples single speed with unusual eccentric rear hub ( cook bros?) and a nice black anodized rim laced to a works man front disc brake. Also contemplated an aluminum 5 spd wheelset off 80’s mtn bike I have. So I had options…. Choosing these
EF319D26-193D-43B9-A7E5-A762D15F16B2.jpeg
FF2A9C35-EECF-46D4-A15F-0306D1C42FA0.jpeg

I choose these, the spokes are super beefy, the rims are steel made in Taiwan not China, front hub and axles are a lot beefier than vintage coaster set and these are perfectly straight. The hi- stop hub isn’t anything, but it works good!. The rims the way they protrude around nipple resembles older tandem wheels, even light moped wheels and I like the look.

Mounted the schwalbe “ table top” tires. They’re designed for jump bikes, if I remember correctly. I have ridden these on another build and they roll great on gravel. I originally bought cuz i love gumwall s and aren’t a lot of higher end foldable gumwall tires in 26”. I thought tread pattern would work well on gravel and does.They we originally on this ‘80’s mtn bike converted to gravel grinder. An experiment in building an inexpensive gravel bike. It was a success but bike tore apart, too many bikes
07EDBF8C-B307-4958-A313-B1811C67B7B7.jpeg

Bars are from Jamis “Boss” cruiser, I like the rise and the sweep. I’m not a fan of straight bars. Drops are my favorite ( but this is a bomber, right?), but for more upright righting I most comfortable with some sweep. I’m gonna be using this bike for mostly pretty mello terrain, if I was actually bombing downhill I’d opt for straighter, wider bar. The cross bar is off another pair of moto bars I had on klunkerish build. I think there more for looks on here than function, cuz they sit pretty low due to curvature of thes bars.
70F02835-68FA-4A37-9F08-4CD395953E59.jpeg

The seat of a “Fito” off Amazon. This is a nice looking, (comfortable for me) seat. I bought this for a rat build and it never stays on any bike I put it on, and there have been many. I doubt it will stay here either. Any bike I ride a lot or far has a Brooks saddle, my saddle of choice. A Brooks b-17 or b-67 is what this build needs. The blue anodized seatpost clamp came off chopper x build off bike, seatpost is original, it was really crusty on front. Cleaned as best I could awhile ago, flipped it around so no chrome on back. In my mind the sign of years of stuff flying off exposed rear tire. It makes it look that this bike been in this configuration awhile with no fenders. I make get a laid back seat post later?

This build really moving along, been at it only a few hours. I had spent considerable time cleaning the bike after I got it, so frame /fork/ seatpost/ bearing cups had seen prior attention. I also gonna have to go back and address greasing headset and bottom bracket. I had a pretty specific direction were I’m headed with build and a lot of parts laid out which helps a lot.
8775C51C-20AE-4ACA-87C3-1649FAE66CDB.jpeg
8775C51C-20AE-4ACA-87C3-1649FAE66CDB.jpeg

Pic shows some progress not discussed. I installed truss rods off an Elgin to make frontend flow aesthetically and give front blade fork some reinforcement. I wanted to use a cruiser fork like I originally had on chopper x, but steerer is too short, I don’t weld and don’t want to spend money to have someone extend it. I looked at “landing gear “ forks but more than I want to spend on fork. So for now bladed fork ok. Maybe will change later…
42C31BC1-D2F9-4935-A807-0F546B4B85AB.jpeg

Installed “wellco”bear trap pedals I had on the original crank assembly. One of the crank arms and back side of crank are crusty and still need attention. I will probably need smaller chainring anyway. My only singlespeed gravel build had a 36” or 34” with 18t in back. I seriously doubt I can spin this I believe 44t for the 20-30 miles I’ll want to ride this bike. I think I have a Sugino 3 pc crank somewhere, I may go that direction?

Also installed front blue anodized brake and brake from chopper x original bike. ( not hooked up) They’re nothing special and lever alittle beat up. Front brake just for” a-little “ extra stopping power. Kinda want the rush of “ is this thing gonna stop” barreling down a hill. Remember this is a low tech build, to enjoy cycling in its purest form. Just a bike to remember cycling the way it used to be. I’ve got bikes with the bells and whistles, this is NOT those bikes, nor do I want it to be.

Latest posts

Back