Personal VenVetta

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s not much clearance at all between tires and fork blades and the wheel was slightly out of true ( rubbing once in a while) I’m not wheel guy so had buddy Luke fine tune front wheel. Taking care of these two issues seems to solved problem. I rode over big parking curb pretty hard several times. The tire never rubbed but did hit stops once. Rode up and down neighbors driveway seems good to go.

Next I installed a laid back seat post and a new Brooks B-67 black saddle with chrome springs.
84CFE00B-EDC8-4888-A4F6-B671E70A68EB.jpeg
B0ABD514-8202-4550-866C-0CDC3ED64D6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I was really getting exasperated with the rat trap front end yesterday, when I put it Back together was having problems getting wheel centered and tire not to rub. Then a few times standing it was rubbing on top of fork. I thought” what the heck, thought I resolved this issue when ground down the tab on inside of fork bridge. Went over to see my buddy Luke and have him look at springer while I was riding. He determined tire was hitting the bottom of the spring where it hangs down through its bracket on the bridge. It’s hard to see but it the rounded shape that’s protruding below the fork bridge.
2D6435CB-2AA8-45AF-854D-AE73FFF7C436.jpeg

I was really ready to just give up on the rat trap idea, got up this morning and was looking around garage to find some rubber to make some bumpers for the rocker stops like Wildcat had suggested. Really want to ride it on trail today. I couldn’t find any rubber big enough to do what Wildcat suggested. What I did find was about 1/4 in wide round shim stamped 22.2 ( so it was I assume from handlebar accessory) it cut it in half, it’s really stiff so I couldn’t get it to lie flat so I could glue or use double sided adhesive. I also don’t want to wait for glue to dry. So I took a zip tie and zip tied it length wise around the lip of the bumper stops
55B1CC73-5EF3-4369-8832-00E8795D678F.jpeg
51A9E7E7-B305-42CF-8AE8-187BE4B1C7A9.jpeg
E6A39404-E242-46A5-9636-F096307A3D8F.jpeg

I know using zip ties kinda cheesy in this build off environment, but I want to see if it’ll work and I want to ride it today. After a couple tries was able to get bumpers really snug to were I’m pretty confident they won’t come off. It’s also barely noticeable that it is actually a zip tie. It was still dark rode up and down street, no rubbing! Put a bag on bike, rounded up some tools , put a water bottle cage on , spare tube and headed to trail. My planned 6-10 mi shake down ride turned into a 26 mi ride! It rode better than expected. The cockpit is the most comfortable I’ve ever been with upright bars. Never had Brooks B-67 before ( use b-17 and Flyers usually) seat was really
D5C9D701-E550-4A31-BCD2-C1C800D155C0.jpeg
4922AB19-5D99-46DA-A26B-64574B3B231A.jpeg
comfy and no squeaking. I had a great time obviously riding it, it even started snowing. Rattrap never bottomed out on gravel, rode over a few small downed trees, fine . When I got to more of a cross country style trail the stops would hit sometimes but no problems.

Last edited:
I know using zip ties kinda cheesy in this build off environment, but I want to see if it’ll work and I want to ride it today. After a couple tries was able to get bumpers really snug to were I’m pretty confident they won’t come off. It’s also barely noticeable that it is actually a zip tie.
I've been known to use zip ties and binges on builds. A few years back on anBBO build i Had a rear fender that didn't even.come close to the mounting hole on the seat stays, lil bungee kept it in place.

Bike Looks good in the snow!

That side shot on the bridge with the snow.....hang on to that for possible final photo! The epitome for a rat rod bike build is a solid and fun rider. You achieved that in spades. Congrats on a successful build!

Nothing new to report on build, but took VenVetta out for 22 mi ride yesterday. Was thinking about what I could add or change, but like bike just the way it is. The trail I ride on goes right through where the worst mudslide in US history occurred on March 22, 2014, the “ Oso mudslide” near Darrington wa. 40+ people lost their life’s , and area were VenVetta is pictured was buried. You can see where slide occurred in background.
B8E6A520-407B-4BF5-B193-F5F6E01F75A4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back