Phantom Menace

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting with a centennial Black Phantom frame that I found on ebay. I'm going with a totally modern interpretation of the 50's icon. Ducati meets Schwinn.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to attach a picture though. I must be missing something really simple.

Johnpayne said:
I'm starting with a centennial Black Phantom frame that I found on ebay. I'm going with a totally modern interpretation of the 50's icon. Ducati meets Schwinn.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to attach a picture though. I must be missing something really simple.
My suggestion: go to http://www.photobucket.com and create a free account. Upload the pics that you want to use there... maybe even in an album just for this bike. Then to post here, just copy (CTRL-C) the image links with "IMG" before them and paste that (CTRL-V) into your message.

The album is also a great way to send an overview of your project to someone... just email them the link to your album.

Thanks Dave! Here's a shot of the frame...

PhantomMenaceFrame.jpg

I got wheels laced up and the tires mounted. I'm using black 24" rims with black spokes and red anodized nipples. The tires are 24X3 Felt. The front fork is a Foes downhill mountain bike setup. The rear hub is a Nexus 3 speed with a coaster brake. I'm hoping o get the 3-piece crank installed this weekend.

FrontWheel.jpg

BackWheel.jpg

Yeah, they're motocycle clip ons. I pushed the fork legs up in the triple tree which lowers the bike a couple inches in the front. Those forks are really long. The clip-ons slid right over the top of the fork legs and that was it.

Got a few more pieces put together. It's starting to come to life. I'm anxious to get that fork mounted next.

BottomBracket.jpg

Bearings.jpg

Chainring.jpg

SealedBearingsInstalled.jpg

Drivetrain.jpg

Yeah, I know it's not a traditional "Rat" since it's not old and crusty. But it's following the rat tradition of mixing parts and creating something new and different.

My aim is to create something that the Black Phantom would have evolved into if Schwinn had kept producing them. The Z06 Corvette is a far cry from a 1953 Vette, but at the end of the day, they're both Corvettes. This bike is an attempt to create the ZO6 of Black Phantoms. If that makes any frickin sense.

I've got another build going simultaneously that's based on a 1949 DX frame. It's more of the traditional "Rat", nice and crusty. And I might switch over to that bike for the final submission. I like where the "Phantom Menace" is heading, so I'm gonna keep going with it for now.

i'm loving the bike, but i think i'd like it even more if the clip on's where between the triple tree's.

not sure my back would like it, but i sure would. :lol: :lol:

can't wait to see what you do next.

Here's one I built 15 years ago. It's got a Nexus 7 speed disc brake in the back and an Indian minibike fork with a drum break up front.
The thing weighs about 70 pounds, but it's brilliant going downhill.

Pink.jpg

Pink2.jpg

Pink3.jpg

Latest posts

Back