Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC

gcrank1,
Yep, it's a MAJOR drain mentally. The drain is accelerated my the fact that my wife was once ASID, so she's driving my CRAZY with details that we don't need to address yet and interjecting while things are still 'in progress'. :roll:

kf,
An 'executive' (see above :mrgreen: ) decision was made to NOT take our bikes to Tybee this year, so I don't have a 'true' deadline to work towards, just my own. I'm still not ready to take the wheels to my LBS to lace, I'm determined to try and make them myself.

BTW, does ANYONE know the TPI on spokes? My friend has as tap and die set if I need to snip them shorter and rethread.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Phantom of the OCC

Dr. Tankenstein said:
gcrank1,
Yep, it's a MAJOR drain mentally. The drain is accelerated my the fact that my wife was once ASID, so she's driving my CRAZY with details that we don't need to address yet and interjecting while things are still 'in progress'. :roll:

kf,
An 'executive' (see above :mrgreen: ) decision was made to NOT take our bikes to Tybee this year, so I don't have a 'true' deadline to work towards, just my own. I'm still not ready to take the wheels to my LBS to lace, I'm determined to try and make them myself.

BTW, does ANYONE know the TPI on spokes? My friend has as tap and die set if I need to snip them shorter and rethread.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Understood, you must follow the prime directive.

I am pretty sure that spokes are 56 TPI. I looked at getting a spoke threader once, but they aint cheap.

Re: Phantom of the OCC - now the 'Zündapp Phantom

Today was a VERY good day! I received a special gift from my new forum friend 'Tibor' from Germany.
I have followed his builds and others on a German-based cruiser forum and respect his craftsmanship and design vision. He graciously sent the fork from a Zündapp motorcycle.

DSCF3563.jpg

DSCF3565.jpg

This fork has a steer tube that is very close to 1", so it fits standard bearings and cups. The only issue is the rest of the headset won't work. I figure I'll adapt a threadless headset/stem, or maybe sacrifice the tube from this.

DSCF3572.jpg

Well, needless to say this piece has changed the direction of this build. So what if the following story were true....... :roll:

What if, similar to today, Ignaz Schwinn had partnered with Zündapp Motorcycles founder Fritz Neumeyer to create a special edition bicycle. This bicycle would capture the spirit of the European cruising motorcycles and the iconic features of the American cruiser bicycles. All was going well until they had a few too many Schnapps.........and from the laboratory of Dr. Tankenstein emerged the "Zündapp Phantom"

Below are some of the earliest known mockup photos.

DSCF3569bw.jpg

DSCF3567bw.jpg

DSCF3570bw.jpg

DSCF3571bw.jpg

Stay tuned as the story evolves and more photographs are uncovered.

Prost,
Dr. T

Re: Phantom of the OCC - now the 'Zündapp Phantom'

Cant wait to see this suka rollin!!! 8) :mrgreen:

Cooler than you described.
How are the beer and sausages?

That Zündapp motorcycle fork is the BeeZ nEEz! I need one of those! Does he have another?

iam glad to see it arrive safely... i hope you like the beer and the fork :)

...even in germany its hard to find the full set of parts for the headset, we normaly use some normal 1" steerer and weld it in place... or use a threadless headset for 1"...

the project will be great...it is allready...

have fun with it..

yours Tibor

That's looking awesome, Doc! 8) I like how the fork works with the fat rear :mrgreen:

Thanks Tibor and everybody else!

gcrank1, they may be, I need to get the steer tube 'solved' then revisit the bars, I've got a cool set of short, wide apes (maybe from a motorcycle?) that are still an option too. I
'm not sure of I'm going 'chopper' or 'moto' or 'drag' bike yet......we'll see.
Gotta find a welder first!

Gotta finish up the Tybee Siren AND finish the house reno, then I can come back around on the 'ZP'

Cheers,
Dr. T

Found a complete set of bearings, Cups And nuts And stuft for the fork, bought it for you... It will arrive in a few weeks...this Time in a normal Letter-Box so it will be faster... For the right. Suspension-Arm you Need some M10 nut And bolt... Or somthing Else :)

you know, I have an OCC frame and an old Columbia cruiser with a bent rear triangle. I may have to build one myself, now that I know how good it looks! 8)

Bigcam59 said:
you know, I have an OCC frame and an old Columbia cruiser with a bent rear triangle. I may have to build one myself, now that I know how good it looks! 8)

Me too...........I'm so going to steal this idea.....................after the build-off :shock:

Thanks guys, this bike has been in my mind for quite some time now, it's fun to start making it a reality. I hope I finish mine before you guys finish yours! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Aw man, that looks like my kinda bier!!!!

Prost!!!!!

IMG_2230.jpg

Latest posts

Back