Picking this up tonight!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting into the hobby and this is my first purchase. I really like the rat rod and muscle bikes! Any ideas on what make and model it might be? I can add more info and more pics tonight after i pick her up.

ratrodmusclebike.jpg

AMF or Columbia

Got it! It was dark when i got it home. I'll get some pics tomorrow but wanted to let everyone know that it is a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne. Hopefully that will help me with getting some more info on it. Thanks!

Fire Marshal Bill said:
Got it! It was dark when i got it home. I'll get some pics tomorrow but wanted to let everyone know that it is a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne. Hopefully that will help me with getting some more info on it. Thanks!
Hawthorne muscle bike how cool is that. all Ive ever ran across is their cruisers

Sorry I've even busy and haven't had a chance to post more pics. I do have a question though. It seems that there is no brake. It's been a while since I've ridden a bike like this, but isn't it supposed to brake when you push the pedal backwards? It seems to just free spin and never catch...... is this normal?

By your pics I can't tell if your rear hub is equipped with a coaster break or not. It's most likely freewheel. The wheels look aftermarket and definitely not the stock wheels it came with. You can add some breaks if the frame and/or forks allow.

Agreed, that's probably a freewheel wheel, which required caliper brakes.

What are you plans for it? Restoring it will take some cash, but the parts aren't real hard to find if you know where to look. Or if you are going to keep it ratty, then just find a coaster wheel for the rear and do what you like with it.

CRASH said:
Agreed, that's probably a freewheel wheel, which required caliper brakes.

What are you plans for it? Restoring it will take some cash, but the parts aren't real hard to find if you know where to look. Or if you are going to keep it ratty, then just find a coaster wheel for the rear and do what you like with it.

May change the seat out for a green glittery one to match the grips. Other than that, i was planning on leaving it a rat bike. Coaster wheel huh? I'll look into it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back