PIG BIKES- 20" Pre Muscle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From John Brain's History- http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory63.html
Kustom trends of 1963
For the most part kustom styling trends of 1963 were a carry-over from the previous year- that is until the new laws banning certain types of equipment came in. The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity, and once the 20-inch platform became firmly established- as the "hot" new style - the older styles based on the larger 24 and 26-inch wheeled bikes quickly began to fade.

Here is Johnny's Bike. I think it was one of the original Pig bikes. I just brought it back to it's former glory.
Build thread http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20926

SDC10392-1.jpg

Re: PIG BIKES- 20" Pre Muscle.

More of that darn reflective tape on the fork. Funny how it always looks the same.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I wouldnt put it on there, but I think the history it represents is cool. It helped me to learn a bit of bike history when someone posted about where it come from. Shoot I woulda left the huge rocket launchers brazed on the back if they would have fit with the sissy bar, and put some vintage bb guns in em.

cman said:
The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity,

I didn't understand this the first few times I read it, "high-rise" was throwing me off, then I realized, the ape hangers and raised banana seats... right?

Seems like something easy enough to build, just make a "muscle bike" from a 20" frame that would have formerly only been a kids bike.

The only muscle bike I had (except for one of my first bikes as a kid) was a BFK, and I was surprised how comfy it was for an adult, I guess that was due to the high-rise features.

yoothgeye said:
I didn't understand this the first few times I read it, "high-rise" was throwing me off, then I realized, the ape hangers and raised banana seats... right?

High Rise was for the super long stems originally.

yoothgeye said:
Seems like something easy enough to build, just make a "muscle bike" from a 20" frame that would have formerly only been a kids bike.

Yes and no. I would figure the frame should be a 1963 or older. But yes any bike works. I changed up a Bantam (no Banana seat.)

0717081936.jpg

arpicker said:
cman said:
Great bikes guys. And I see more fork reflector tape. :roll:

Yeah my top tube had it too but I got it off. Haven't tried the fork yet.
No...leave it. That is part of the History. I just comment because I see that on every 20" bike that is not a Stingray.

Me back in the day about 1963. This was the first bike that I ever rebuilt myself incliding respoking the wheels. It was a early 50's Schwinn 20" straightbar frame. I was saving my money up to buy some highrise bars and a banana seat. Never heard them called pig bikes. They were often refered to as Polo or banana (nanner) bikes then.

rat1-2.jpg

A little later after I had the handlebars and the seat.
rat2-2.jpg

A 1955 20" canti frame Schwinn that I did for the kids buildoff.
clunker51.jpg

Thanks!!!

My neighbor just gave my son what I guess is a pig bike. My boy got to pick it out from several old bikes that the farmers kids had rode years ago. I really like the handlebars on this one, and keep teasing my son that I am going to trade him for a smaller set :)

I am new to old bikes, so would love some suggestions about what to do with it? We will strip it down and regrease, but unsure about the following:
paint vs clean in up and clearcoat it to keep it from rusting more?
what to do about rusty chrome?
what kind of tires?

My boy is 9 and loves to ride alot, so it won't be a display bike whatever we do. Thanks for any input.

Tear it down and regrease everything. Look at the tires and see if they are marked "20 X 1 3/4" or "20 X 1.75". If they are 1 3/4 you will need special tires for Schwinn S-7 rims. (Looks like it has S-7's to me.) They are available. You can strip the frame of parts, then wash it good with soap and water. Dry it completely and then spray it with satin clear rattle can paint.

I think you'll have better luck getting this pig bike going than the Belgium made WF. Schwinn bearings and stuff are easy to get. Gary

Cman recommended I post my pig bikes pics here; so here they be.....
Here are my RatRod and Pig bikes - all 20" bikes so far...Plan on making a 26"Rat this winter...

1952 Polar Bear and 1955 Arisotcrat (Both built by Scheurer in W. Germany)

1960 Schwinn Tornado 20"

1965 Monark Sportster

Latest posts

Back